Chapter 2

I walked out to the forest to where I had hidden my commoners clothes. Years ago, when Aurora and I first discovered the door, I had hired a seamstress to make me clothes befitting a peasant girl. Every once in a while, I'd sneak out of the castle and visit the capital city. I loved the scents of the spices imported from the East, the view of the city lit with torches, and watching people live normal lives.

I reached the small cave and stepped inside, pulling my clothes out from a nook in the wall. I changed into them quickly, so as not to be disturbed by a hungry bear- again- and stepped outside. I dirtied my arms a little bit, tangled my hair slightly, and I looked at myself in the river.

My clothes were growing small. It had been a while since I had last visited the city. I almost considered getting my riding clothes from the castle, as they are the least expensive garments I own, but decided against it. Even my riding clothes were too fine for me to pass as a commoner. This would have to do.

I grinned and started walking towards the city.

The first thing I noticed about the city, as always, was the noise. Loud shouts, quiet conversations, even singing filled the streets with life.

I walked to my favorite little bakery, and sat down inside.

"Morning ma'am," I said. It thrilled me to use a title for someone who wasn't visiting royalty.

The baker's wife grunted "Afternoon more like it. What do you want child, come on!"

"A loaf of bread, please,"

She squinted at me. "Bread? Can you afford it?"

I laughed nervously, "of course!" My clothes must be smaller on me than I though, if she believed me too poor to afford bread!

"Well, pay up child!"

I handed her two silver pieces, then took my leave.

Along the street was the news board. There was a small crowd of people standing by it, chattering excitedly. It seemed my mother had led Fraser on more than I had thought.

"There will be a royal wedding!"

"Ah, it's so sweet! Princess Dawn was always my favorite!"

"How romantic! I bet the princess loves Prince Fraser!"

I snorted loudly at that last one. So, I thought, suddenly I'm everyone's favorite princess.

It was a nice change- after all, I usually was an afterthought. But it definitely wasn't worth marrying Fraser. And it was still Aurora's birthday.

And I'd made it all about me...

I sighed, looking at the quant bakery and loud children. Then, squaring my shoulders, I made my way back up to the castle.