Chapter 14

Phillip and I kept up that pattern for the rest of the day - riding quickly through the countryside and slowing down in the villages. We were at the edge of the city, and I wanted nothing more than to keep going. After the sun set though, we needed to rest, so we moved a little ways off of the road and started a fire.

Phillip had purchased some meat from a butcher shop in one of the villages we had passed by, and had cooked it over the fire. It was one of the most delicious things I had eaten in those past few days.

I found that I couldn't look at him, for whatever reason. We kept up an easy conversation, but I found myself looking away at different things.

He had rolled up his sleeves and undone the top buttons of his shirt. Every few minutes, my eyes would flick up towards him of their own accord, and I would fight down the urge to blush for some reason.

"Right?" Phillip asked me.

"Umm, yes?" I said, unaware of what he was asking me.

He frowned, running his had through his hair. "Are you ok, Dawn?"

"I..." the words got caught in my throat, and I didn't know what to say.

He moved to sit down next to me, and I stood up, abruptly.

Phillip stood up as well, frowning, "Dawn, what's wrong?"

I don't know! I wanted to scream, I don't know why I can't talk to you like before, or why I want to touch your annoyingly tousled hair, or why I...

I gulped and I closed my eyes. Phillip put one hand on my face, "Dawn," he whispered, and I almost knew before I opened my eyes.

His eyes were dark, and his nose hovered, barely an inch away from mine. His thumb stroked my cheek, and his other hand was wrapped around my waist.

He bit his lip, and I found myself looking at them, wondering what it would be like to feel them on my own.

I leaned in, closing the gap between us as my lips crashed against his. All the timidness and uncertainty that had been there a minute ago was gone, and all that was left was passion.

His lips moved against mine slowly, intoxicatingly. My hands were in his hair, his now both on my waist, pulling me to him. His tongue met my own, and his teeth played with my bottom lip in a way that made me feel weak. We separated for a second before moving back, and somehow, I found myself pressed against a tree.

Phillip's hands slid down and squeezed, making me yelp slightly before pulling him even closer to me, undoing more buttons on his shirt. Phillip took his lips off of mine and pressed them to the hollow at the base of my neck, and all I saw and thought of was Phillip, and how he felt against me, and how his lips felt at the edge of my jaw, and how his hands moved in the most wonderful way, and how soft his hair felt, and...

Aurora

I jerked away, quickly, stumbling back.

"I... We can't... Aurora,"

Phillip simply looked at me, his expression hidden in the shadows.

"Goodnight," I said, and I went back to our small fire and played down, my back to him.

But I was acutely aware of when he moved towards the fire, and when he laid down, a good distance away from me.

He was going to kiss Aurora tomorrow, and he was going to marry her. It was the only way I would ever get to see my sister again.

But no matter how many times I repeated it to myself, I still felt a hollow in my chest, and I wondered how fate could be so cruel for me to begin falling in love with the love of my sisters life.

I'm done with this scene! This was particularly hard to write, as I 'm lacking in much experience in this area, but I couldn't wait to write it. We still have at least 4 more chapters to go, but it's definitely close to being done!

Thanks for reading, and tell me what you think in the comments!