Chapter 20

The next morning, I cornered my mother in her office before breakfast.

"Dawn! I can't believe you're awake!" she glanced at the nice trousers I had gotten the palace tailors to make for me, and her lips tightened with slight disapproval. "You... well, I suppose you'll start a look. Goodness knows everyone's going to want to dress like the future queen of Ambrose."

I laughed, "Well, that's a better response than I'd expected. What're you working on?"

She sighed, sifting through her paperwork, her spectacles slipping on her nose. "I'm still trying to figure out how to approach Tansy, since it seems like Prince Fraser was most definitely involved with the general's betrayal. Any ideas?"

"Yes! Ask Rory, she loves this kind of thing,"

Mother smiled at me, shaking her head, "Well, I certainly hope that either you or Phillip learns how to manage foreign policy before your father and I step down,"

"I think that... What?"

"I said-"

I shook my head, quickly, "No, mother. You said me and Phillip! I didn't tell you anything yet!"

She raised an eyebrow, "Let me guess - you came here today to tell me that Phillip will be marrying you instead of Aurora because the two of you have fallen madly in love and Lillian's words were hard to interpret?"

"I - yes, actually, that's exactly it."

"Dawn," mother stood up and walked towards me, "You must understand that the only blind people in this castle are you and Phillip. That boy is deeply in love with you, and it would take a fool not to see it."

I smiled, "So we have your blessing?"

"Of course you do! Do you think I'd throw away such a valuable alliance? Besides, he makes you happy, and you'll need that when you're wearing my crown. Now go get ready for breakfast and try not to get caught in a broom closet."

Wrapping my arms around her quickly, I whispered, "Thank you, mother. And I won't!"

I ran out of the room, just as she called out, "We won't, Dawn! I don't care if you're in there alone!"

By the time I'd reached breakfast, it seemed like father had already been told what had happened.

I sat down next to Aurora, squeezing her fingers lightly. Father settled himself between Phillip and I, then glared at him.

"If you don't propose to her soon, I will have to chaperone the two of you."

Phillip nodded, meekly, then winked at me behind father's back. I fought back a blush, instead focusing on the oatmeal in front of me.

"No more sneaking around into empty rooms," Father continued around a mouthful of food.

"You knew?" I asked, surprised.

"Of course I knew! I'm the reason no one walked in there! Imagine the talk, Crown Princess Dawn caught in a room sitting with the Prince of Elerica. Alone. With romantic candle lighting. No more funny business, you two! And Phillip, I do expect you to propose."

I closed my eyes, groaning softly. "Alright, I'll do you one better."

I stood up, just as my mother walked in the room.

"Morning everyone,"

Aurora, greeted my mother not taking her eyes off me.

I walked to Phillip, each step deliberate, before dropping to one knee. The room was silent, and the only thing I could see was Phillip grinning at me, his eyes twinkling.

"Prince Phillip of Elerica, will you marry me?"

He shook his head, beaming. "My mother's going to kill me,"

"Answer the question!" I said, my large grin matching his.

"Of course." he said, before kissing me softly.

My mother gasped loudly, "Broom closets, Dawn!"

My father began to laugh, his face turning red as tears streamed down his face.

I looked back at my sister, who somehow, unintentionally brought me here. She stood to the side, watching me. When our eyes met, she whispered, "I love you,"

Kissing Phillip on the cheek quickly, I moved across the room and pulled my sister into a rib-cracking hug. "I love you too,"

The End