Chapter 7

I got up to leave the princes council. "Unfortunately, Prince Phillip, we shall have to leave this wonderful party. Really, I had a great time." I glared at Fraser.

Phillip nodded and got up, saying good bye to some of the princes around him, and followed me out the door.

"Thank you," I said quietly, once we were outside.

"I should be thanking you. I now have a chance to solve the mystery that you are."

Before I could reply, Cadmus called out, "Princess!"

I whirled around. "Thank you for all of your help Prince Cadmus,"

He snorted, "I hardly did anything. But I want to help."

I raised my eyebrows at this. "How?"

He looked over to Phillip, "You can't take everything you brought here with you. I'll arrange to have a carriage take your things back to your kingdom for you."

Phillip smiled gratefully, "Elerica, thats my kingdom,"

South then. No wonder he looked sun kissed.

Cadmus turned to me, "You need clothes to travel in."

"I have clothes to travel in."

He shook his head, "Any clothes a princess may have would be far to conspicuous."

"I happen to have commoners clothes."

"A dress?"

"Well, yes! What else!"

Cadmus looked at me for a moment, "It isn't uncommon for commoner women outside the cities to wear trousers. They will be more efficient for travel."

"Wonderful. Since you seem to have all the answers, tell me this- how will I have time to go and get myself commoners trousers?"

"Fortunately," Cadmus smiled, "I happen to have a pair."

I raised my eyebrows at him, "Why?"

"I needed to buy some for- it doesn't really matter. The point is, they are new, unworn, and the best thing you could use."

I nodded reluctantly, "Thank you,"

He called a maid over and asked her to bring the trousers down. Phillip, (whose disappearance I hadn't noticed) came back down and stood next to me, completely transformed in his own commoners clothes.

When the maid brought down the trousers, I went back to the broom closet I had gone into to change.

I forced myself out of the red dress I was wearing and into the brown trousers and my riding boots. I had nothing to wear on my top half except for the undershirt, and bodice I had borrowed from Lizabeth. It would have to do. I pulled the flowing white shirt and bodice over my head. I quickly braided my hair, then stepped back out to see both Cadmus and Phillip waiting for me.

"Are you ready?" Phillip said.

I nodded.

"Princess Dawn. . ." Cadmus said, "These princes, some of them will not hesitate from attacking your country since its defense are low. Be careful. You are the only heir to the Ambrose throne left awake, and that makes you a target. Good luck."

I nodded. I had been wrong when I first judged Cadmus. It seemed obvious to me at that moment that the vain act that he had had was just that- an act. I knew that I had just made a good friend, someone I could trust.