Chapter 17

The next few days were a flurry of activity. A representative from Elerica arrived to help us begin planning the wedding, and Phillip whispered to me during dinner one night that his mother was, as expected, not very pleased with his plan to remain in Ambrose.

Aurora spent every single day in multiple meetings, she and mother being a political powerhouse, getting things done.

I spent each day having to prepare speeches for the ball, meet with multiple different people, and - my least favorite - get fitted for a dress.

"Stand still, your highness, this'll only take a moment!" the dressmaker smiled.

I groaned, "I hate dresses. And balls."

She chuckled, "Well then, you'll certainly have a fun night with that attitude!"

"It's strange. It's been only a week or so since I've come back, and I already miss trousers!"

"Ah, Princess, I understand." she patted my arm sympathetically.

Father and I escaped every once in a while and we rode our horses. I beat him in every race, and he took it with grace - although he did complain once, laughing, about how I should let him win once or twice, for his pride. After an hour or so of wandering around the grounds, we took a small break.

"So tell me, Dawn." Father said, suddenly, "This Prince Phillip. Is he a good person?"

I smiled, "Good as they come."

He nodded, thoughtfully. "I like the boy. Smart of you to bring the heir of Elerica's throne as well."

I chuckled, "He was the only one who volunteered!"

Father raised his eyebrows, "You promised them the hand of your sister, and they all said no?"

I shrugged, "Fraser scared them into it - he got a little angry when he found out that I was in Tansy for reasons other than warming his bedsheets."

Father snorted, "Always thought he was a bit of an ass!"

"A bit?"

"Well... I put up with him, I suppose, because I did believe he was the best chance for you. You're always so hidden to the other princes because of Aurora, and your mother and I thought he would be as good as it came. You would have lots of power, money, and influence. And God knows that fool wouldn't have anything to do with the actual ruling of the country, so you would be able to do as you pleased. Now, I suppose, the princes will be lining up for you!"

Father smiled at me, and I smiled back.

"But what about love, father?" I asked, quietly.

"You know," father chuckled, "I didn't love your mother. I married her purely for political reasons. I met her a week before the wedding, and I couldn't stand her. I was a general in the army, and to me, she seemed like a prissy, spoiled brat. But then the night we were married, she was working the minute the wedding finished. And I sat with her as she worked at her desk for hours, poring over different methods the treasurer suggested for helping the economy. This work was her life, and it was every day! One day, she'd had enough. We fought over some small thing after barely communicating for the entirety of our short marriage, and she broke. Your mother fell down on to the floor and sobbed, because she had the weight of the world on her shoulders, and she felt she'd married a man who hated her. After that, I made a real, conscious effort to get to know her, and to help her a bit with the stress. One day, I told the maids to leave her be, and not to wake her. I attended all of her early morning meetings, using her notes as reference. When your mother woke up, it was the happiest I'd seen her in weeks.

"I may not have loved your mother when I married her, but I certainly do now. Marriage isn't going to work most of the time if it's just politics, and quite honestly, darling, we would have never forced you to go through with that marriage had you believed that you could never love Fraser."

I nodded, biting my lip.

We went back to the stables, not saying much again. But when we put our horses away, a flung my arms around his neck.

"I love you father," I whispered.

"Love you too, Dawn."

<><><>

When the day of the ball finally arrived, the entire castle felt as if it was going to burst from all of the people and excitement.

Aurora walked into my room, a vision in her pale, yellow dress.

Sitting down, she began to speak, "So, at the beginning there will be two dances. The first, I will be with Phillip. The second, he has requested to be with you."

I nodded, "Alright,"

"Then after that, you will be giving your speech, then Phillip will say something about Elerica. Then we have to mingle and dance, and mother and father expect us both to entertain all possible suitors."

"Wait, why both of us?" I frowned.

But Aurora only smiled. "I saw your outfit this morning. It should be done soon. You will love it."

I snorted at that, "Doubtful,"

Aurora shook her head and left the room.

With nothing to do to kill time until the ball, I lounged around my room, looking around. My bed sat, fairly untouched. To this day, I spent most nights sleeping in between the tall shelves in the library.

Then there was a loud knock on my door.

"Come in,"

A group of maids entered, holding out my outfit for the night.

"Here you go, Princess," the dressmaker said, beaming.

She had outdone herself. The 'dress' wasn't a dress at all, with the skirt split into two, like a billowing pair of trousers. The whole thing was a deep red, with a bodice that would accentuate my curves without suffocating me. It had a slightly low cut, exposing more than I was used to, but I felt tingly at the thought of wearing it.

"I don't think I've ever liked a dress this much before." I smiled at her.

The maids curtsied and began to help me get into the new dress.

I glanced at myself in a tall mirror before we got started on hair and makeup, and I couldn't hold back a small smile. I wonder if Phillip will like it... I thought, before quickly casting that thought out of my mind. It didn't matter what anyone, especially my sister's future husband, would think.

They kept my face looking simple - a more mature look, I'd noticed, than Aurora's sweet and dainty jewelry and colors.

I was dressed to impress, and I could tell that mother was going to try to get me engaged again as soon as she could. But as I looked in the mirror, I realized that I would have to be ok with that. My life was no longer in the shadows, and maybe soon I could allow someone into my life who could be my partner, the way mother had gotten father.

Whatever would happen that night, I felt ready, and much more confident than I ever had. I don't need to be bigger than Aurora's shadow. I can be special without having to be perfect, and hopefully, today everyone will see that. 

I don't know why I'm writing about marriage and being in love, as I've experienced neither. Anyways, I loved writing this! Comment if you want me to include a picture of what the 'dress' looks like in the next chapter!