Chapter Five

I rode hard, stopping once for a quick water break. When I had reached the Ambrose-Tansy border, I knew I was close.

The princes counsel was an idea my uncle had, when he was no older than me. He set it up as both a social and political gala, and every prince in the realm was invited. Each year, a different kingdom was chosen to host it. Thankfully, Ambrose wasn't a candidate, for we had no princes. Lizabeth often said it was a good thing neither Aurora or I was a prince, because the cost of just an outfit for the gala was more than most families made in a year.

At the gala, the princes would sit at a dinner table, discuss upcoming wars and treaties, and (always a favorite) princesses. In a situation in which a princess is being married off but hasn't yet chosen one of the princes (or had one chosen for her), the princes would often discuss the merits of each princess, and settle who gets which over a game of poker. Though this method has worked a few times, most of the time the princess gets to choose which pompous brat she marries. Unless she happened to be me. This was Fraser's kingdom, and according to him, we were betrothed.

I was not excited to be going there.

When I finally saw Tansy's castle, I forced myself to slow down. There was no need to rush into the hall like a mad-woman. I planned on being dignified.

Patting my horses rump, I whispered, "we're almost there."

And with that, I set off again.

<><><>

Pulling up by the stables, I could see row after row of gleaming, royal horses. I let my own horse, Nightmare drink some water before I led her into a stall.

I pulled out my traveling sack. When I had left Ambrose, I had taken with me only a dress, slippers, and some food and water. I knew I had to look the part of princess if these pompous bastards were to ever take me seriously. And today I needed them to take me seriously, for Aurora.

Just as I was leaving Nightmares stall, I bumped into someone and fell to the ground.

Of course I fell. I would've been shocked if I didn't, I thought.

"I'm terribly sorry!" The person who had knocked me over offered his hand.

I took it gratefully, and he helped pull me up.

"Thanks," I said.

I looked up at him. All of a sudden, my heart skipped a beat.

The man standing before me was obviously a prince, but not quite like one I'd ever met before. His grey eyes sparkled with mischief, and his lips were pulled into a grin. His hair was dark brown, and he had let it grow longer than most of the princes did. And unlike any Prince I'd ever met before, this man (like me) was sun kissed and had a few freckles splattered across his impossibly straight nose.

He smiled at me, (an expression that I found I liked on his face).

"Who are you?" He asked.

"Dawn." I stood there, looking at him a moment longer. Then I realized that his arms where still around mine. Focus, Dawn! I moved away from him, and started walking towards the castle.

"Aren't you going to ask what my name is?" He called after me, grinning.

"Nope. I'm on a schedule. Besides, I suspect I'll see you later!"

He laughed, "mystery. I like that in a woman!"

I snorted, then walked over to the kitchen door, telling myself that I had imagined the fluttery sensation in my stomach.

The cook glared at me for a while as I explained that I needed a place to change. That is, until I offered her some money, and she softened considerably.

"Oh no, dear! I just hope you haven't got a thought to steal anything from me!"

I smiled, "I wouldn't steal anything from you, good woman. Unless," I added with a chuckle, "you are better than the cook in Ambrose. Then I might have to take you with me!"

The cook chuckled good-naturedly, before leading me into the kitchen.

"Sit here lass, have a meal before you change. You look like you could use it!"

Before I could lie and say that I really wasn't hungry, she had set down a bowl of soup for me. My stomach growled loudly, so I gave in and sat.

Well, I thought as the food entered my mouth, I guess I might be taking her with me after all!

Though Tansy and Ambrose are close to one another in location, it seemed as though they differed greatly when it came to the culinary arts.

Tansy was closer to the sea, so there was a lot of seafood consumed here. In Ambrose, fish was a delicacy.

I finished the shrimp soup in a most un-princess like manner.

"That was heavenly! Would you like a job in Ambrose?" I said.

Cook laughed and pecked me on the cheek, "I like you lass!"

She told me about a broom closet where I could change, and I left the kitchen.

I hurried into my dress and slippers. Red, To make me seem powerful.

Once I had that done, I braided half of my black hair and pinned it up. It wasn't as good as when Lizabeth did my hair, but I didn't think it looked too bad.

As I left the closet, I glanced up at a window. The sun was setting. I walked a bit faster, panting because of my corset. I wanted to be in the counsel room before any of the brats drank too much.

When I finally reached the room (I knew the interior of this castle by heart, as Fraser lives here), I knocked on the door, twice, to signify that I was royalty.

Then I waited a moment before knocking again twice, to signify that I was female.

I stood out there for a minute, fidgeting with my red skirt.

Then the door opened