two: bridge-builder blues

POISON IN MY VEINS

"You're a goofy-lookin' buncha kids," Kaida observed for what seemed to be the third time today, an amused smile on her face as she looked over all of them, "Are we sure we can't exchange them?" She asked Kakashi who merely shook his head in disappointment.

"That's like the hundredth time you've said that," The pink-haired girl, Sakura, furrowed her eyebrows, not wanting to be grouped into that category, "Just say you don't like us," She joked, the cat squirming in her arms as it tried to use the distraction to escape.

"I haven't had enough time to develop that opinion," Kaida grinned, trying to make the most out of the boredom she felt on these D-rank missions.

Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto. Those were the names of her kids and she quickly decided that all of them were without a doubt beyond annoying. She hoped that they'd all grow into their personalities and goals because otherwise they wouldn't be functioning members of society.

"Kaida-sensei, I'm so bored," Naruto whined, ignoring the blood slowly dripping down his face from the cat attacking him moments before, "And these missions are stupid!"

Kakashi wasn't exactly surprised the kids took a liking to Kaida so quickly, leaving him as yesterdays news. Her age made her more relatable and her outward passionate about teaching made the kids trust her. He could tell Naruto felt drawn to her for either her humor or attitude while Sakura felt appreciative she had feminine energy in a team previously full of testosterone. Sasuke wasn't quite convinced yet.

"They are pretty lame, aren't they," The coily-haired woman agreed, hands on her hips as a sigh escaped those thick lips of hers, "But I can't see you doing any higher ranked missions, especially since you couldn't even retrieve this cat without getting sliced up."

"Says you! You didn't even help because you were scared!" Naruto pointed an accusatory finger that made her drop her head back with a laugh.

Kakashi watched the lines on her neck and that side-ways smile when she pulled it back up, "Allergies are hardly a fear."

"It is a pretty lame excuse though, sensei," Sakura noted, finding the perfect position by just holding the cat out with straight arms, "Are you deathly allergic or something?"

Kaida paused for a second, avoiding eye contact before she answered, "No?" She paused again before she added on, "I get itchy and my eyes start to water though."

The blonde and pinkette seemed amused by the way they let out a loud collective snort, "Really? You didn't help this whole time because you didn't wanna be itchy?" They laughed, making the woman roll her eyes.

"I didn't wanna be uncomfortable for the rest of the day!" She shot back, crossing her arms over her chest.

"You're calling these missions 'lame'? These kids gotta start somewhere, Kaida!" Her old friend, Iruka scolded from across the table. They were briefly in the same class at a younger age before she ranked up faster than average.

"Please, these are household chores and you know it," Kaida rolled her eyes, crossing her arms.

"So you think they're ready for something more difficult?" The Hokage quickly inputted, not giving Iruka a chance to work himself up further. He always had a soft spot for Naruto, "It's only their first day."

"I'll leave that up to Kakashi to decide. He's had them a bit longer than me," Kaida glanced over to the man who observed the train wreck, "But I'm sure we're both more than capable of taking care of three kids," Hiruzen's eyes shifted under his hat, over to a man he trusted greatly.