Chapter 10: Anything

Hello all! Sorry in advance that this chapter is a little bit shorter, there's no song and it kind of serves as a filler chapter, but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

While the pair never found a hot air balloon or a faster method of transportation, Flynn Rider knew of all the underground shortcuts that could get Rapunzel home in time for her eighteenth birthday tomorrow. It wasn't like he wanted to show the princess of his enemy kingdom his secret passageways, but then again, he also didn't want to spend more time with her than necessary, so he figured this was the best option.

"So... Blondie"

"It's Rapunzel"

"Tell me about your hair, I mean it must take a lot of dedication to grow it out that long"

"Oh, haha, I just love long hair!"

Most of the Coronian citizens didn't know about Rapunzel's magic, as Mother Gothel made it explicitly clear that, if that knowledge were to get out, it could put Rapunzel in grave danger. If she wasn't to tell her trusted subjects about her power, why would she tell a wanted thief?

Before she could answer that question, she saw a glowing light in the distance.

"We made it to Corona!"

"Yes we did", Flynn agreed. "And technically, Corona is your home, so I'll be on my way now. I believe you owe me some, SOME, of my stolen... erm I mean, compensation for being your escort?"

Rapunzel was disappointed that Flynn was leaving so soon. They had just started getting to know each other!

"Aww, you're leaving already?"

"Sorry, princess, but I've got a date with not-getting-arrested".

"Okay... here's your treasure. Thanks for getting me back home safely!"

But Flynn was already gone. Rapunzel wondered if she'd ever see him again. Probably not if he was a fugitive running for his life. Oh well, she thought. Some friends aren't meant to be kept.

-

-

"It looks like the storm is clearing up," King Frederic told his wife.

"Yes, that's good news!"

"I wonder what could've caused such a massive snowstorm? Corona has never seen the likes of it before from what I can remember".

"I'm not sure, dear, but at least it'll be perfect weather for Rapunzel's birthday tomorrow!"

"Do you think she'll be back in time for the celebration?"

"I hope so. Gothel never did tell us how long she and Cassandra would be away, and now that Gothel's dead, it's not like we can ask her".

"Poor Rapunzel will be devastated".

"And poor Cassandra too!"

"Yes, her as well".

The king and queen sat with their thoughts for a while before the king spoke back up.

"You know, Arianna, I never was a fan of Gothel," the king stated bluntly.

Arianna was flabbergasted at this revelation. "Never?"

"Not even when she showed up on our doorsteps all those years ago".

"Then why did we hire her?"

"I figured since she claimed to have so much knowledge on raising kids, and we had no idea how to be parents, it might be nice to have an extra pair of hands around. If I would've known how overbearing she'd be, not letting us brush our daughter's hair or see her other than for mealtimes, I think I would've made a different decision".

The queen silently nodded in agreement. She, too, was never a fan of Gothel. Arianna thought Gothel seemed insecure about her role as Rapunzel's nanny, not to mention all those times Arianna overheard Gothel talking to herself about Rapunzel and Cassandra's "training", whatever that meant. She didn't say this to her husband, however. Sometimes, they could communicate with one another without saying a word. This was one of those times.

"However, even though I didn't like her," the king continued. "I always trusted her judgment and thought she knew how best to raise our daughter. I've told you how recently, I've been losing trust in her. Not for anything particular she did, I've just had a bad feeling".

"Do you still have that bad feeling?"

"Well, now that she's gone, I'm not sure. I hope I've been wrong all along and that we did act in Rapunzel's best interest".

Arianna was sympathetic to Frederic's worries.

"We did the best we could with what we were given" she started. "And what's most important: she has grown up to be safe, smart, and above all, true to herself"

"That's very true" Frederic agreed.

"You did well" Arianna reassured him while placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Frederic looked back at his wife lovingly. "Thanks, dear".

"Anytime".

-

Rapunzel, Fidella, Max, and Pascal were warmly welcomed back home by all the Coronian Citizens.

"Welcome home, my dear!" cried King Frederic.

"We missed you so much!" Queen Arianna added.

"Happy birthday eve!" the castle inhabitants declared in unison.

Rapunzel was blushing from all the attention. "Thank you, all of you".

"Tell us all about your road trip!" Rapunzel's mother pleaded while ushering Rapunzel into her and her husband's room.

Rapunzel thought she'd start with the lighthearted information first. "Well, we rode on a hot air balloon, which was a lot of fun, and Cassandra became more free-spirited while riding, but... wait, where's Mother Gothel?"

The king and queen looked at each other worriedly before King Frederic decided to break the news. "We're so sorry, dear, but she passed away".

Rapunzel was shocked. "She's gone?" Before Rapunzel left, Mother Gothel was in perfect health and had no signs of ailing. Plus, Rapunzel had always looked to Mother Gothel as a strong, independent woman who could never be hurt by the world. How could she die? "How?"

As her parents explained that there was a massive snowstorm that had taken many lives and made many people sick, Cassandra's words echoed in Rapunzel's mind.

"What kind of mother makes her daughter run her errands as a young child, reprimands her for dropping six bags of groceries, all while treating the kid she nannies as her diamond in the rough that's so precious, that she can't let it get away or breathe without being suffocated?"

Was Mother Gothel the bad guy? Rapunzel wasn't sure. She was sure of one thing, however. Rapunzel would do anything to get Cassandra back. Anything.

"Wait, where is Cassandra?"