Chapter 14: The Final Countdown

Hi everyone! I hope you're all enjoying the story! We're almost to the end! I was thinking about adding a sneak peek to the sequel after I finish writing this one, let me know if that's something any of you would be interested in. Happy reading!

Chapter 14: The Final Countdown

"We have to hurry!" Rapunzel called out to the crowd. While Cassandra was right, Corona needed Zhan Tiri to meet them at the Great Tree, they didn't need her now! They had to finish building the portal to trap Zhan Tiri and save their kingdom.

As the group made their way into the center of the Great Tree, Zhan Tiri began preparing her powers for full force. Using the moonstone's powers, Zhan Tiri grew black, spiky rocks out of the ground as she walked. Cassandra could feel the power leaving her body, but even her confident spirit couldn't stop this. She would need the help of her friends to defeat the demoness.

-

"Screwdriver?"

"Check."

"Hammer?"

"Check."

"Wrench?"

"Oh, for crying out loud, can you stop saying check?"

"Well sorry, Flynn, but we're trying to get this machine built".

"Alright everyone, let's focus," Rapunzel but in to the two's bickering.

"Okay, and done!" Varian exclaimed proudly.

"Great!" Rapunzel exclaimed. How do we turn it on?

"Well, using this fulcrum, which is used to generate torque..."

"English, please," Flynn retorted.

"You push the lever down and it turns on".

"Great! Thanks, Varian, you're the best!" Rapunzel cheered while hugging the young aspiring engineer.

"Let's turn this baby on!" Lance exclaimed excitedly.

And just like that, Zhan Tiri appeared in the form of Cassandra, with a trail of black rocks behind her.

Everyone began to brace themselves, grabbing whatever swords, potions, or frying pans they could find.

"Wait! It's just me!" Zhan Tiri cried, acting as she thought Cassandra would.

Everyone stood down. "Cass?" Rapunzel questioned.

"Rapunzel!" Zhan Tiri cried back, going in for an embrace.

Rapunzel reluctantly went in for the hug, not convinced that this was really Cassandra.

"Is it really you?" Rapunzel whispered in her ear, holding back tears.

"Yes, it's me, your sister", Zhan Tiri replied.

Rapunzel held the demoness closer, hoping that this wasn't a dream. She soon began to think about how much Cassandra hated hugs, but chose to ignore the passing thought.

"Let's go home, I'm scared," Zhan Tiri told the princess.

As if she had been woken up from a haze, Rapunzel realized who she was dealing with.

"You're not Cassandra!" Rapunzel shouted, while everyone began reclaiming their weapons.

"Yes I am! What do you mean?"

"Cassandra would never admit to being scared. She's the bravest person I know!"

Zhan Tiri tried to backtrack. "Well... what I meant was... I mean..."

"You're Zhan Tiri, the ancient demoness!" Rapunzel accused.

The crowd gasped. They knew they were expecting Zhan Tiri, but seeing her in person made the whole situation a lot more real.

"Alright, yes, I'm Zhan Tiri, and I'm going to destroy you all!" she shouted, firing black rocks at the crowd.

"Don't back down!" Rapunzel tried to encourage her friends, but they all cowered behind the powered-down portal.

"I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die!" Lance cried while clenching onto Flynn's wrist.

"Cut it out, Lance!" Flynn shouted while slapping his friend squarely across the face.

This allowed Lance to return to reality. "Thanks, buddy!"

Meanwhile, Rapunzel was face-to-face with Zhan Tiri. Varian was ready to turn the portal on at Rapunzel's command, and everyone else hid behind the portal, feeling slightly guilty for abandoning their princess, but not guilty enough to help her.

"Now!" Rapunzel shouted at Varian, who pulled the lever, turning on the portal.

Rapunzel gracefully made her way out of the portal's reach, while trying to defend against black rocks with her frying pan. As Zhan Tiri was viciously fighting against the portal's pull, Rapunzel lassoed the demoness with her golden hair, preparing to put her in her place.

Zhan Tiri struggled and struggled to set herself free, but Rapunzel's grip grew firmer and firmer. She had tied Zhan Tiri's wrists and feet together, so she was no longer able to use the black rocks to free herself.

"Is this your brilliant plan, Rapunzel? Keeping me here forever?"

"No, and that's kind of the point" Rapunzel declared while taking a shard of black rock and slicing her hair off.

"NOOOOOO!" Zhan Tiri cried while being sucked into the portal. She couldn't do anything to save herself, but after being released, was able to use the black rocks again, and shot them out of the portal.

While the rocks barely missed Rapunzel, they sliced through the rim of the portal, destroying it.

"The portal!" Varian shouted.

"Cass!" Rapunzel cried out, reaching out to try and save her, but it was too late. As the portal was closing, Rapunzel saw Cassandra being freed from Zhan Tiri's grip, who now took on her original form as the hideous demon she always was. Still, Cassandra was stuck in the alternate dimension with an all-powerful demon. Rapunzel was devastated.

While wiping away her tears, Rapunzel remembered Xavier's words.

"All you can do is cheer her on and be there for her once she's free".

"Well," Rapunzel started dejectedly, as the Coronian citizens made their way out from behind the portal. "Did anyone bring an extra pair of pom poms?"