Daughters of the Land and Sea (.1)

"Cory!"

The 15-year-old looked up from her painting to see another girl standing in her driveway.

"Hey, Rikki."

Rikki made her way into the garage where Cory was painting.

"I was nearby and thought maybe you wanna hang out for a bit," Rikki said. "But if you're busy, that's okay."

"I was just giving this one a last look before putting it aside. Just let me grab my keys." Cory pulled off the plastic gloves and ran inside to lock the house.

The two teens started wandering around discussing random events that had been happening in their lives recently. They became so absorbed in their conversation; they didn't notice that they had walked all the way to the harbour at the marina.

Cory and Rikki had only known each other for about two months at this point but had managed to become quick friends. They had met each other when Cory was messing around near the waterfront and twisted her leg, causing her to fall in the water. Rikki thankfully had been nearby and jumped in to help her out. To say that Cory was embarrassed was an understatement.

"Looks like a twisted ankle. I think you'll be okay."

"Thanks. I'm Coralie by the way. Well, actually it's Cory. No one's called me Coralie since I was a toddler." Cory said nervously as Rikki continued checking her foot.

"Name's Rikki." the other girl said without looking up.

"I don't know what I would have done if you weren't here."

Rikki looked up for a second.

"No big deal."

"It was a pretty big deal to me." Cory joked. "If you ever need anything, let me know. You know, just to repay the favour."

Rikki gave her a small smile.

"I'll keep that in mind."

The two of them didn't see each other again until a couple of days later when they passed each other at school. Cory always tried to give her a friendly wave. After a while, Rikki had started asking her to hang out at random times, and it eventually became the norm for the two of them.

"She's the worst. She could at least-" Rikki stopped mid-rant when Cory halted and put her hand out in front of Rikki.

"What?" Rikki asked curiously.

Cory pointed over to the docks. Where a tall brown haired teen was walking away from an inflatable boat.

"Zane left his Zodiac totally unattended." Cory smiled. Rikki smiled back and nodded in understanding.

The two of them made their way over to the red boat. Looking around to make sure that no one saw them.

"Get the spark plug," Cory whispered while continuing keeping an eye out.

Once Rikki pulled out the small silver piece, she motioned for Cory to run. The two of them got out of sight and waited for Zane to return.

They watched as Zane and his friend, Nate, returned to find that his boat refused to start. Rikki and Cory had a good laugh when Zane let out a couple of curses and kicked it out of frustration. However, things went south when a girl walked by, and Zane called her over. Cory recognised her to be Cleo. Another teen, who was in the same year as Rikki and Cory.

They talked for a bit before Cleo got into the boat. Looking like she was getting ready to pass Zane some tools. Zane processed to push the boat away from the dock with Cleo still in it.