Chapter Thirteen | Marbled White

A L E X A N D R A | N I C O L A I D E S

VOTE PLEASE!

His mother stood in front of him.

I knew it was his mother just by the resemblance and shift in tone of the atmosphere. Everyone looked their way, and all Ares did was just stare at her. Emotionless. No love. No hatred.

Just-nothing. "Ares..." She whispers, Ares did not reply to her. His jaw tightened; I do not even think he blinked. "You have grown so much, son." Her hair was jet black, she had a few wrinkles on her forehead and some around her neck but other than that, she looked young. Just like Aunt Coraline.

"Don't call me that." His tone scared me, it was so low and had no tone to it. "We actually have to go; Alex is not feeling well." He grasps my hands into his and turns away. I did not say a word but follow after him, he was not in the right state of mind to sit and have dinner with the same woman who let bad things happen to her own child.

"Ares! What about dinner?" I hear Artemis yell.

"I'll make it up to you." Ares responds, once we reached outside, I stopped him from going any further.

"What the hell was that?" I whisper, Ares rushes his fingers through his hair.

"Trying to act as if nothing fucking happened," he begins whispering to himself.

It was the shift in his eyes, Diávolos.

"Ares-" Adonis walks towards us.

"I have to go." Ares mumbles, before departing to the car. I rose a shook brow, is he really leaving me here alone? He slams the car door and reverses out of the driveway; I make my way down the steps in a hurry.

"Ares!" I yell at him, but it was too late because he drove away.

My eyes widened, "Alex-"

He-he really just left me in a place I have never been before alone, pregnant. Tears swim on the edge of my lids, Adonis pushes me against him, giving me something that I did not know I needed. Comfort. "Let's get out of here," I nod my head gently. He heads back inside to grab keys.

Once we were on the road, all that was going through my mind was Ares.

Where is he?

Where did he go?

And how on earth could he leave me?

"It's hard on him Alex." Adonis tries to back him up. "Our parents-they singled Ares out for some reason. They treated him-"

"I already know Ares, he told me everything." I whisper, looking up at the sky. We reach the nearest open café and thank god for that because I needed a coffee to keep me up at this rate. I try my best to remove all focus from Ares, but obviously I was worried. I called him all night and he did not answer the phone once, I saw the shift in his eyes.

I do not know if he has gone back to killing or...

No, Ares changed. Diávolos is not him anymore and never will be. Adonis tries to soothe me down from having mini heart attacks, we were in a different country, obviously this was their homeland, but I did not know anything. I came with the thought that Ares would not leave my side without warning or telling me or even reassuring me.

The stress was getting to me, what on earth do i do now?

The coffee that Adonis ordered me was no help at all, "you want to hear one of my famous jokes?" Adonis asks, I look up at him a smile appearing on my face. Oh great. Income Adonis stupid jokes. "What do dentists call their x-rays?"