Chapter Eighteen | Red Admiral

A L E X A N D R A | N I C O L A I D E S

VOICEMAIL:

ARES: Alex! Alex where the fuck are you? Why is the hotel empty? Alex answer me now!

ARES: Alex, please just send me a text to at least let me know you are safe.

ARES: Alex. Please. Answer the phone.

ARES: I am sorry, I am fucking sorry okay. It was not my place to tell you, I was waiting for Coraline to tell you. Alex. Please. Just tell me where you are, I will not come to you. I promise. I need to know you are safe.

ARES: It has been two weeks; you have missed you appointments. Alex, you are pregnant with my baby, forget what I have done and lets think about her.

ARES: I-Alex...

"And a hot chocolate for you." I take the warm mug into my grasp, smiling to Clark as he settles down beside me. "Now, you going to tell me what's going on? Because Ares is blowing up my phone asking if I am with you."

"Did you tell him?"

"No, I told him that I know you're safe because you called me but you're not here with me." I nodded my head and sighed with relief. "Talk. Now."

"Aunt Coraline is my real mother." His eyes widened, his mouth dropped, and he immediately drank his hot chocolate before nodding for me to continue. "Ares knew for five years and did not tell me-" He holds up his hands for me to stop.

"Sorry, I'm sorry- I hope you're not blaming him." He raises one brow, wait what?

"But it-he had a fault, he knew for five years and did not tell me."

"Because it was not his place to tell you Alex, it was Coraline who should have told you. Is this why you are ignoring him? Because he kept something from you? Yes, he should not have done that, but you should be blaming Aunt Coraline not Ares."

I swallowed my spit, moulding my lips between my teeth as I settle the cup down and begin fidgeting with my socks. Maybe I have been a little harsh, "he hurt me...I trusted him."

"So did Aunt Coraline, she may have told him not to tell you. It's better for it to come from her anyways, Alex, look I have you back all the way." He takes my hands in his.

"Did I do a mistake? I-I fudged up and I lost Ares." What on earth have I done? What on bloody earth have I done?

Not only did I break the promise of never leaving him again, but I put the entire blame on the man I love. I guess because I trusted him with more than just my life, I trusted him with my heart.

I felt as if he put his fingers inside and dragged it right out of my chest but- it was not him. It was Coraline. I lost the man I love because-of the past. I still had every right to be angry, but i was angry at the wrong person.

That spark of anger shielded me from the pain at the time. If I could relive it, I would strive to gather more strength. I failed myself, as well as Ares. I never understood why love had to be free before; now I do.

It must be free, otherwise the urge would twist my own nature and transform love into something it should never be.

Love is not a possession, but rather the wind behind the wings of the one you love. So, I have got something fresh to work on, to keep an eye out for that flash of darkness and strive to be better. The issue was never Ares, but me.

To be better, my love, I must be able to walk alone. Then I can be who I need to be, who he needs. Just know that I love you and that my rage was only a flare of fire to conceal my own vulnerability.