CHAPTER 4

The World's Strongest Creature

─────

"I won't say this a second time: do not eat the fish in the river again."

"Yes, captain. I'm sorry."

Sora watched with folded arms as Law sternly reprimanded a depressed Bepo. Currently, they were outside the hideout of the ruins and were gathered near the cliff at the mountaintop that overlooked the vast region of Kuri. The rest of the Strawhats were still inside their hideout while Kinemon updated them with everything they needed to know about Wano and their allies during the time they were away.

"Cut 'im some slack, Law," Sora called out, "the poor guy was just hungry."

Law turned to her with a frown. "We have enough food stored here."

"Well, can't really blame him, can we? Those fish tasted kinda good, to be honest."

Law did a double take.

"You—you ate the fish in the poisoned river too?"

Sora shrugged. "Jus' a taste. Caught one with Zoro earlier. We both got a li'l stomachache, but none too serious."

Law blinked at her a few times more than necessary. As far as he'd heard, Luffy had eaten some of that poisoned fish as well, and he didn't show any ill symptoms.

So idiots are immune to poison, he concluded, shaking his head in resignation. Why was he always surrounded by simpletons lately? In the past, he'd only had Sora to handle. Ever since he allied with the Strawhats it was like his girlfriend's annoying tendencies had quadrupled.

It's because of this damned alliance.

Law was only brought out of his thoughts when they heard the crackle of lightning rumbling in the distance, the clouds hovering over where Okobore town was located swirling and darkening like some ominous presence had suddenly arrived. The air pressure seemingly weighed heavier, causing everyone who was at the cliff to turn towards it.

"What's going on over there..?" Penguin said to no one in particular, craning his neck.

"Rain?" Shachi suggested, also looking over to the direction.

But Law and Sora realized that it was definitely not rain. The realization that dawned on them at the same time raised the hairs on their skin.

"Strawhat-ya! Come out here quick!"

Following his hasty shout, Luffy and the rest dashed out of their hideout and joined Law and the others at the cliff, looking over to the direction of Okobore town, where the dark clouds seemed to part ways and something large came swooping down.

And there it was.

A humongous dragon with golden horns, flaming blue scales and a large 'X' scar that ran through its chest; it carried with it a frightening air that seemed as if it could raze an entire city to the ground. Probably because it could. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill type of dragon in the New World.

"What the hell is that?!"

Law steeled his glare at the creature that, despite it being miles away from them, didn't feel any less menacing.

"That's Kaido."

The rest of the group turned to him in both shock and terror. Not one of them was expecting to see the boss of the island to show up this early in the game—with absolutely no warning. Talk about rude. Least he could have done was give them a heads-up.