CHAPTER 20

The Way of the Sword

─────

Somewhere in the bamboo groves, Amigasa...

They were in a stump.

It had started to rain.

And, because Katana was such a caring ally, she told Zoro to wait it out in a nearby cave, stating how they shouldn't try to get back to camp amidst the downpour and risk having a fever, not when the raid was so close. Naturally, Zoro had issues with her suggestion.

Because believe it or not, Roronoa Zoro, for the last twenty-one years of his life, has never, ever, gotten sick.

"I'm telling you, it's no problem," Zoro told her. She had already dragged them to a hollow concavity at a nearby cliff, insisting they take shelter. "Let's just head back already."

Katana frowned at him, like he just said the stupidest thing ever in the world.

"A swordsman knows how to take care of his body. If you get sick when the raid is right around the corner, it will only hold the alliance down."

"I said it's not a problem," Zoro repeated with more irritation radiating off him. "I don't get sick."

"Excuse me?"

"Never had one my entire life. So stop fussing around."

Katana blinked at him a few times, the new information rendering her speechless. Zoro was beginning to get ticked off.

"What?"

Then, as if suddenly reaching an epiphany, Katana slowly nodded with a hand on her chin. She had on such a solemn expression that Zoro wondered what was going on in her head.

"I see. I thought it was but a mere myth.. but to think it's actually true..."

"Hah?"

Katana lowered her hand and looked at him like he was a rare species in a zoo.

"To think I'm witnessing it first-hand.. so it is true.."

"What's true?!"

Katana swallowed heavily, as if she still could not believe it.

"That.. idiots really do not catch colds."

.

.

.

"I'm going to cut you up."

"Then explain why you've never had one!"

"How should I know?!" Zoro snapped, with all the shark teeth. "Maybe colds are just scared of me."

"Truly a statement only an idiot would mak—

"You're pushing your luck."

"Then," Katana started, boldly pointing at the bamboo forest, "head back to the camp by yourself under this rain."

Zoro gritted his teeth, holding back the little inch of patience left in him.

He huffed and slumped down to the ground, leaning his three swords against the wall of dirt beside him. "You're annoying. Fine. I'll wait it out here so long as you shut up."

Katana looked at him before she sighed to herself. She leaned her naginata against the wall and sat down facing the entrance of the cavern, cross-legged. The space was cramped up, barely enough for two adults to fit in that her knee was almost grazing Zoro's.