CHAPTER 17

The Man called Shimotsuki Ushimaru

─────

At the forest near Hakumai...

"Lady Hiyori."

Hiyori turned at the call, looking at the kappa who was accompanying her to the shrine of Enma located deep within the forest of the region of Hakumai, where her safety will be ensured while the rest of the alliance were to head for the raid. Kawamatsu had confirmed that it was a location away from the sights of both Kaido and Orochi.

"What is it, Kawamatsu?"

He did not answer, pondering deeply over his words. He's had these thoughts ever since running into that green haired swordsman—Roronoa Zoro, was his name?—and the strange gut feeling lurking in his chest never left him.

"Was there a reason why.. you entrusted Enma to that young man?"

Hiyori looked at him for a few more moments before she returned her eyes to the path in front of them. Leaves crunched beneath her geta sandals as they hiked through the foliage.

"Do you still have doubts, Kawamatsu?"

".. No," he answered honestly, face morose. "It's just.. I was indeed skeptical at first, granted he was an outsider. But the more I looked at him, the more I saw the semblance he bears with a great samurai I know, although I'm not sure if you remember him, Lady Hiyori."

"Are you pertaining to the late daimyo of Ringo?"

Kawamatsu almost stopped in his tracks. He faced Hiyori with a look of utter surprise.

"Do you also see their similarities, my Lady?"

"My memory is vague, to be quite honest," Hiyori admitted, although the distant look in her face told Kawamatsu she was looking at past memories. He understood that—she was barely six years old the last time she saw the late daimyo. "But I do remember him. And how he took care of Katana.."

Katana. Kawamatsu went silent as he thought of the red haired woman. He always had an inkling she was going to grow into a great samurai, considering how she'd been personally trained by the one who previously held the title of the greatest onna-musha of Wano. When he first saw her as a grown-up in his own eyes, he had to do a double take—that fire of determination in her eyes, paired with that infamous blade in her hand.. without a doubt, she had grown worthy to wield that weapon.

Which is why Kawamatsu was a hundred percent certain that Katana, of all people, should have noticed Roronoa Zoro's similarities with one Shimotsuki Ushimaru.

"It is also worthy to note," he added, catching Hiyori's attention once more, "that they are an interesting pair when they stand together."

It took Hiyori only around two seconds to realize what he meant, even without him clarifying it. She smiled wistfully.

A legend of two, the pride of Wano.

"I must agree.. every samurai of Wano would recognize that sight."

"Is that why you sent her with him?"

Hiyori chuckled, staring at her footsteps.

"Well.. only fate will tell."

At Amigasa Village...