CHAPTER 15

The Name of Shimotsuki

─────

Zoro weighed the two swords strapped to his waist in displeasure.

So far, they finally resolved the issue of weapons for the samurai to fight for their cause. Also, according to Kawamatsu, Luffy and the gang had taken over Udon. Those were two problems finally ticked out of their agenda.

"Now I only need to get back my Shusui and meet up with the others."

Zoro looked around him, wondering where that sword bandit had disappeared to. They were still at the Ringo graveyard, waiting for Kawamatsu to finish his call with Kinemon before deciding on their next action plan.

Near the run-down entrance of the basement, Hiyori silently gauged the green haired swordsman. The cold wind whistled through her ears, long strands of her light hair fluttering by her shoulders.

"Zorojuro-san."

Zoro turned at the call.

"If your sword truly is the real Shusui," she started, "then please, return it to Wano."

His eye twitched. "I already told you, it's mine."

"I will give you a replacement."

The bold declaration sounded more amplified with the wind that blew past them. Zoro allowed her words to settle in him, the prospect of a new blade sinking into his thoughts.

Hiyori silently took a deep breath. "A sword that was handed down to me by my late father, the famed blade, Enma."

Zoro relaxed his tense shoulders and absentmindedly ran a hand across the hilts of his two remaining swords: Kitetsu III and Wado Ichimonji.

"Enma.." The name itself had a mystifying effect on his tongue. Ominous, even. Even just uttering it was enough to send chills.

Hiyori nodded, adding, "It is a legendary sword, and the only one to have ever wounded Kaido."

Now that caught Zoro's attention. The sword that wounded Kaido? If he was going to fight together with Luffy to take down an Emperor, this Enma seemed like the perfect weapon to have in his possession. Before he could even reach a conclusion, he noticed Katana walking out of the shadows of the trees, a stern face plastered all over her as she made her way towards them without a sound.

"No, Lady Hiyori!"

Zoro glanced and saw that Kawamatsu had climbed out of the basement. He seemed to have heard their conversation.

"You cannot give away your memento of Lord Oden!"

Despite his claims, Hiyori looked unperturbed. "My father, Kozuki Oden, was a swordsman who wielded two full-sized swords. On the day before his execution, he gave my brother Ame-no-Habakiri, while I was entrusted with Enma. Both are blades of very fine make, forged by great blacksmiths of Wano."

"Which is why you shouldn't hand it to this.. this dubious man, Lady Hiyori!" Kawamatsu argued.

Hiyori finally addressed his concerns and calmed him down, telling him not to insult the man who had saved her. Despite it all, Kawamatsu promptly shut his mouth and lowered his head in apology. Hiyori returned her attention towards Zoro and continued.

"Shusui is the sword of the God of the Blade, Ryuma. I do not know how it ended up in your hands, but I implore you, Zorojuro-san. Return it to the land of Wano."

Zoro gave a noncommittal hum and held his chin, sighing as a puff of cold air flowed past him. In the first place, he only took Shusui from Ryuma's corpse, which had been stolen by Moria. If he were to insist on keeping it, it would only paint him into a bad guy, and for Zoro, he'd rather avoid any other hindrances that could potentially give him more unneeded headache, especially with the big battle so close.