Chapter 7: Pain (Rewritten)

'Oh, shit. How long have you been there?' you asked, slightly embarrassed that someone heard you sing. 'Long enough to hear you sing the whole song. You didn't want me to hear it?' SCP-105 asked you. 'Preferably not, it's embarrassing,' you said. 'Why are you embarrassed? You've got such a beautiful voice,' she complimented you and the slight blush on your cheeks became more prominent. 'T-thank you,' you said. 'But that sounds rich coming from the girl whose voice literally sounds like an angel's,' you mumbled to yourself. You liked teasing and flirting with others, but you weren't used to be teased or be complemented yourself. 'So, why did you choose that song to sing?' the blonde girl asked you. 'Because of the irony,' you replied simply. 'What do you mean by that?' 'Well, the song is literally called "home" and the sentence "I'm coming home now" is continuously repeated throughout it. But from the first interview I had with one of the researchers, it was very clear that we're never going home, that we're never meant to come home. Once here, always here. Hence the irony,' you explained. 'I never got your name though. And I mean your real name, not designation,' you said. 'My name's Iris Thompson. What's yours?' she asked. '(Y/N) (L/N), nice to meet you,' you answered as you held out your hand and she shook it. 'So, how long have you been here?' you asked. 'For about 2 years now? Yeah, I was 15 when I got here,' she said, questioning herself first. 'I'm here now for a couple of months,' you stated, 'So, what do you think about this?' She tilted her head slightly and raised an eyebrow. 'What do you think about this Foundation?' you asked her, again. 'Oh, I don't really know what to think of them. Some are very cold, some outright mean, while others are nice,' she answered after a while. 'I kinda get what you mean. What are your powers though?' you inquired her. 'Huh?' 'There's a reason for why you're here and not in the normal world. That's mostly because you can do something that no one else can. So, what are your powers?' you explained. 'I can manipulate photos after they're taken,' she answered your question, but now it was your time to be confused. 'I think it's better if I just show you,' the blonde said and pulled out a picture from a pocket of her overall. You got up, grabbed your chair and put it down beside hers and sat down. You looked at the picture she held and saw that it was a photo of a sunset over an deep blue ocean taken from a green cliff. The picture was calm and peaceful, idyllic even. The soothing and at the same time romantic atmosphere was captured perfectly. 'That's a beautiful picture,' you voiced your thoughts, not holding back your admiration for the skill of photography. 'Thanks, I took this picture on the last vacation I took with my family,' Iris told you with a sad tone. 'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that,' you said, 'May I ask what happened to them?' 'Nothing special, it's just from then on I started living with my boyfriend, but...' she fell silent towards the end and a tear streamed down her beautiful face, the painful memories flooding her mind again. You just wrapped your arm around her and let her cry into your shoulder, staining your overall, but you didn't care. You softly rubbed your hand over her blonde, soft hair and whispered: 'It's okay, let it out.'

After some minutes Iris stopped crying, but was still sniffling from time to time. 'I'm sorry about that, it's just quite painful for me to think about it, let alone bring it up in a conversation,' she explained, her sapphire eyes still watering. 'Hey, it's okay. Sometimes it's the best to let all the emotions out, carrying them with you really can put a number on yourself. So it's completely fine, I understand,' you comforted her. 'Thanks,' she said and smiled. It was such a pretty smile that you couldn't help but grin yourself. 'You're welcome,' you said. Suddenly, she embraced you and said: 'Thank you, for helping me and saving my life. I truly mean it.' 'Hey, someone had to do something about that thing, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting here,' you joked. 'Yeah, you're right. So what can you do?' she asked you. You brought your arm forward with the palm of your hand up and formed a small ball of fire in it. 'I can create fire...' You then pulled up your sleeve and let your entire lower arm catchs fire. Iris jumped back in order to not be burned. 'Ah, sorry about that. I had to take into consideration that you were so close. I could have burned you. I'm sorry, I'm so clumsy sometimes' you quickly apologized after dissipating your fire. 'No, no, it's fine, please show. For safety I'll just stand across the room,' Iris said. 'I think that that's indeed the safest option,' you said and she moved to the other side of the almost empty room. You ignited your arm again. '... from every part of my body,' you said, 'Also I can change the temperature of the fire.' And after that you changed the orange flames to blue and eventually to bright white, but as you did that you yelled 'FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!' and quickly made the fire disappear. You fell to the ground clutching your right arm and Iris ran as fast as she could, the door even opened and two guards ran in with a doctor. 'What happened?!' one of the guards asked. 'I don't know! But he's in pain, please help him!' she answered him. 'Shit, it hurts. Not as bad as it should though,' you grunted through the pain. 'What do you mean by that?' the doctor asked you. 'Exactly as I said, it hurts but not as much as it should. That was something I always was amazed by. A small cut on me healed in a matter of seconds,' you explained, while still grunting out of pain. You looked at your right arm and saw that it was completely charred black with the burned skin already starting to fall of. To make matters even worse the entire room smelled like burning flesh. 'I'm sorry to say that SCP-666, but it seems like your lower arm needs to be amputated,' the doctor said after his examination of your arm. 'Are you going to be okay with only one arm?' Iris asked you and you answered with: 'I think so, this will be a good test to see how effective that regeneration of mine is. I'm sorry to cut our session so short, but let's continue this another time okay?' 'Yes. Do you mind if I visit you in the medbay?' the blonde asked. 'If they'll allow you, I don't mind having a visitor from time to time. Anyway, it was nice to meet you, properly this time,' you said with a smile and your face and an outstretched hand, that she shook. And with that you were guided out of the room by the doctor and two guards. You looked back and flashed her a quick smile, before disappearing out of her sight.

In the medbay you were being prepped for surgery. You wore that standard hospital gown and a hair net. You laid on a bed and stared at the white, sterile ceiling. Not a single spot could be seen there. Then a face appeared in your view, that was obscured by a mask and hair net. 'I'm going to bring you under narcosis, from here on you won't feel anything anymore. Once I put the mask on, please breathe deep in a couple of times and then the narcotics should do the rest, okay?' the nurse explained. You nodded and she put the mask on you. You did as instructed and your vision became blurry before you felt yourself slipping away from this world.

You woke up a couple of hours later, but for you it felt like an eternity. You looked at your right arm to see that it was completely normal, like nothing ever happened. Your arm was back to your original (S/C) (A/N: means skin color) and you tried to move it. All your fingers reacted accordingly and your wrist and elbow too. Just then the doctor came in. 'A SCP-666, I see that...' he started, but you interrupted him. '(Y/N),' you said. 'I'm sorry, what do you mean?' the doc asked confused. 'My name's (Y/N), you can talk with your colleagues about me as SCP-666, but when talking to me you use my normal, human name, okay?' you said, with a firm tone. 'Alright then,' complied the doctor, 'I see that you're finally awake and I've to say that your regeneration is quite remarkable.' 'Thanks, I guess,' you said with a monotonous voice, 'Anything else?' 'How do you feel right now?' the doctor asked. 'Except for sleepy, completely normal. I've got feeling everywhere in my body and don't have any pain or any aches,' you answered the doctor. 'Well, in that case you can rest for a bit and then you can leave at around noon,' the doctor said. And with that he left the room and you fell back into a dreamless sleep.

A/N: Hello there. This is a rewrite of the last chapter as I got some complains that it seemed a bit rushed, so I apologize for that. Also I didn't really felt satisfied with how that chapter turned out, so I hope this one is better.

Anyways, let me know what you think about this chapter. Support and criticism are always welcome and as always laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - Dodominic2021