Chapter sixty-two

Layla

As I sit, the deep feeling diminishes. I'm relieved. 

Now, with a spring in my step which isn't combined with discomfort, I gradually make my way over to the front of the café, careful I don't trip on the dismantled chairs and destruction as I reach the entrance.

I don't want to go inside due to the possibility of recalling what happened in the Trixala simulation. Those injuries, the blood... but this narrows down the areas I can go to try and leave without being seen. This problem escalates when a purple portal shows from the ground and a mavlin rises out of it. 

The metallic enemy roams the outskirts of the café. It doesn't turnaround thankfully so it hasn't registered that I am here. I've learnt that mavlins aren't the best at observations whereas I'm always alert; studying exits and where CCTV cameras are placed in some buildings. Always knowing and one step ahead of everyone

The presence of this mavlin is compromising my chances to leave. I need to get rid of the obstacle. Creeping up behind it, I pick up a broken chair to use as a weapon. With my grip tight and secure, I swing it toward the mavlin but the robot turns and catches it in one swift movement.

I'm shocked. To think I was just mocking mavlins observational capabilities when this one somehow had a sixth sense that it was about to get hit.

The mavlin pulls the chair from me and snaps it in two.

Backing away is my only option now. I keep close to the building but the mavlin presses toward me each time I near the walls of the café. I have to stray from the security of Leo's so the mavlin retreats. This becomes a pattern but a worrying one at that as the mavlin doesn't attack me. All I want to do is keep out of sight from the Monster but this mavlin is preventing me which makes me think that this robotic minion of Adicus is not wanting to fight me. I think it wants to expose me.

Since we are doing a distracted and dysfunctional dance of weaving in and out of cover, I take this time to study the horned enemy in front of me. There are differences in this one's appearance compared to the mavlins that were surrounding us not too long ago. The usual red and blue cables that entwine and protrude have a black fluid running through them instead. This mavlin has more armour, specifically lined more on the stomach and legs. The robot's head even has a somewhat helmet with two long equal slits carved out where eyes would be. The horns are longer too.

The mavlin strives in keeping me away from Leo's but I keep active on my feet, counteracting each move so no advantage is gained. I can't keep this up though as there is only a limited amount of space left until I really am out in the open. I need to get rid of this mavlin.

Being quick and light on my toes, my mind is alert and sparking for different moves I can make. I punch the mavlin, aiming for its head but the robot doesn't fall down. I kick out straight after but my attack is just absorbed and the mavlin bounces back. Nothing is hurting this mavlin?

The robot evades my right-handed punch as my next action is complete muscle memory and I bring my other hand to rifle it into its chest but again to no infliction. Frustrated, I throw another punch but when I make contact, the mavlin quickly brings its own hand down on my arm which causes it to flex from the sudden impact and pain to erupt from my elbow. 

I recoil my arm away and step back to give me more distance between the metallic enemy so I can evaluate the situation and focus on my next moves. However, I'm having to think at a sparking rate because this mavlin is closing down the space I made between us so swiftly. 

All my progress is gone in a matter of seconds and the mavlin pushes me. My shoes grind to a halt as I fall forward but kneel down to control my balance. 

Placing my hand on the concrete ground, I wait to spot the Mavlins feet and then tighten my hand to a surging fist. I shoot my fist upward and contact the chin of the mavlin in a right uppercut but to no effect. What?

A throbbing pain soon emits from my hand and I have to hold it to try to contain the sensation. However, upon doing that the mavlin bolts a quick fist in my direction and I don't have enough time to react so it hits me in the shoulder. The power of it makes me lose my balance but the mavlin keeps going, sensing my unsteady and pain filled predicament and pushes me again. My back hits something hard upon landing this time. The wind has been well and truly taken out of me.

I can't lay here and give up so I stand. The throb in my hand has mellowed which gives me time to get away from this bench. 

Wait, bench? 

I come to realise how far from Leo's I actually am. The mavlin was slowly taking me away from the building and block of vison from the monster. 

I need to somehow get rid of this troublesome Mavlin. Fighting it isn't working so I flee away from it, wanting to be nearer to Leo's and safety but my shoulder is pulled back with such force that I trip and fall to the ground. My palms graze from the impact but I'm not on the floor for long as the mavlin pulls me up and pushes me further from Leo's and more into the open. 

Anything I do fails. The mavlin strives towards me relentlessly and I'm left with my original option – to fight it. 

The mavlin dodges my initial punch and responds with one of its own which I swerve. I lash out desperately, but both my arms are grabbed by the persistent mavlin. The hold over my arms is then slowly twisted which causes sharp pain to reverberate through my bones. 

I scream out, my voice loud and curdled. The grasp around my arms tightens and I wail louder. From this pain and discomfort, the deep feeling swirls within me and I dig in. This could be a way to win so I relish in this sensation. I throw my hands up, making the mavlin release me and I push into its robotic chest. The force I exert is enough to make it fall back and hit the floor but I keep going.

I pick up the mavlin and throw it into the bench, punching at the head and stomach as it falters and drops forward but I pull it up straight for another hit and then again

I don't want to stop.

Warm anger sweeps through me as I punch the mavlin again and again, seeing it whiplash and react from my attacks is a welcome sight. 

The mavlin bursts into particles and I have to cover my eyes from this sudden destruction. Once the bright lights and particles have evaporated, the cold air of the city prickles my skin but its countered by the heat within me. I'm flustered. 

My breathing is ragged and sweat has begun to bead on my forehead. This is what Baymin told me not to do. Don't get worked up in a fight and I did. I wanted to hurt the mavlin. I needed too as a means of escape from the city but now I can't reap in these feelings. 

My heart pounds as my vision starts to blur. My veins flow with fire as the deep feeling swarms my body. 

No.