16

the cold water enveloped us and we began to dive towards the bright red light at the bottom of the lake. Eddie continued to hold my hand as we swam deeper towards the glowing red gate at the bottom.
When we pushed through to the other side, we pulled ourselves onto the ground and I listened as Eddie began to cough. I looked up at the sky and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The sky was laced with a deep red lightning and a swarm of large bats was circling above us. I had just enough time to get used to my surroundings when I heard Steve let out a blood curdling scream.

Me and Eddie both shot our eyes in his direction only to see him on the ground with bats gnawing at his flesh. Immediately, we rushed to our feet to help. Nancy took a paddle and began to knock the bats off of Steve. Eddie quickly reached for the second oar and began to deflect the bats that were coming  down from the sky.

Chaos erupted around us. Bats circling us like we were their prey. With the only oars being taken I quickly observed the ground for anything to help defend my friends.

I watched as a bat latched onto Nancy's back and she let out a yelp.
me and Robin both ran to her. We both tugged at its tail until it let go of Nancy. Robin swung it over her shoulder and smashed it on the ground. I drove the stick through it's chest and I could feel it's ribs break under the pressure. A black puddle began to form around it.

I smiled at Robin and I watched as her eyes went wide. I felt sharp talons stab into my side. the bat began to sink its teeth into my arm and I let out a scream.
The feeling was indescribable. When you experience something like that your body goes into shock. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would, but it was a warm sensation.
I felt blood run down my side and sink into my pant line.

I quickly grabbed the bat by the back of its neck and pulled its head away from my body.
It left four large puncture wounds in my arm that began to fill with blood. I felt my adrenaline kick in and all I knew was that I had to get it off of me. I pulled as hard as I could and I felt it's claws rip through my skin. I let out a loud scream and fell to the ground.

I grabbed the bat by each of its wings and began to tear them away from its body. I dropped the wingless creature onto the ground and I watched as it squirmed in pain. Eddie quickly stabbed into its neck and decapitated it with his oar. I look up at him worried and he smiled at me with a wild expression on his face.

"This is definitely not the right time, but that was very hot." I looked up at him and shook my head. He looked down and noticed the blood gushing down my body and i watched as his eyes filled with worry. "You're bleeding.." he said and I could tell he was in shock.
"No shit Eddie." I felt myself getting tired really quickly. Before I could hit the ground Eddie stabilized me. I looked up at him and he sighed. He quickly took his bandana and wrapped it securely around the wounds on my arm.

"Jesus Christ." He muttered under his breath, still bandaging me. The adrenaline started to wear off and I began to feel the pain. It was sharp and it was intense. The one on my side ached tremendously. It felt like someone had went at it with a chainsaw.

I watched as Nancy and Robin nursed Steve. I looked at Steve's wounds and they were much worse than mine. And he was still standing.. meanwhile it felt like i couldn't move without my body falling apart.

"Uh, do you guys think these bats have, like, rabies?" Robin says out of nowhere which causes us all to look up at her. "What?" Steve asks looking at her like she's crazy.
"It's just that rabies are, like, my number one greatest fear. And I think we should
get you to a doctor soon because once symptoms set in, it's too late. You're already dead." Everyone just looked at her in silence for a second.

Our silence was interrupted by the shriek of several bats coming from the distance. They quickly flew down and landed down on the ground, on the edge of the gate.
We began to huddle into a group. "All right. There's not that many. We can take 'em." Steve says to us quietly. "Right?" He tries to reassure himself but once again we hear the shrieks of more bats in the distance and I watched as a large swarm of them flew out of the fog. I could feel everyone's adrenaline set back in.
"The woods. Come on." Nancy said gesturing for us to follow her.
Eddie looked down at me and I gave him a reassuring nod to let him know I'd be okay. We began to run into the lining of the woods.