ii. HARDLY A SOUND

Eddie sighed as he placed the deer down onto the grass. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he licked the excess blood off. The thirst had simmered down, but it still lingered, still reminded him of the monster he had become. With a sigh, he got up and made his way back to your house. It was starting to get lighter outside. He pushed the back door open, trying his best to limit the sounds he made so he wouldn't wake you up again. The last thing he wanted was for you to see him like this. Slowly, he made his way upstairs. He entered the guest bedroom and plopped down on the bed. He didn't feel tired, not in the slightest. He sighed as he stared up at the ceiling, trying his best to past the time.

      As soon as Eddie heard your heartbeat quicken, signifying you were awake, he sat up. He heard the faint pitter patter of your feet against the floor as you got ready for the day. He opened the door to his room and leaned on the doorframe, waiting for you.

       You jumped in surprise when you were met with Eddie standing wide awake in the doorframe. "Morning," you yawned, sending him a polite smile. "D'you want coffee? We've got tea, too," you asked.

        Eddie shook his head, "Nah, 'm good, thanks."

     You looked down at your fidgeting hands, "Well, um, d'you wanna watch some tv? We've got all the channels. At least, that's what my parents told me."

      "Sure, you can pick what we watch," Eddie shrugged, following you to the living room. You sat down on the sofa and Eddie sat down on your dad's la-z-boy. You turned on the tv, switching the channel to Discovery, a personal favorite of yours. "This okay?" you asked, turning to him.

     "Uh, yeah, this is good," Eddie replied, his eyes hooked on the screen. You turned your head to see what was so interesting. The current program on the TV was about the relationship between predator and prey in the wild. A montage of various predators hunting their prey played on the screen with some professor speaking over it.

     "I find this stuff so interesting," you blurt. Clearly, you had Eddie's attention, because for the first time since you had turned the tv on, his eyes were on you rather than the screen. "Um, I mean, like, I always wonder how I would react if I were ever put in a situation like that. I mean, they're literally running for their life. One slip up, and it's over for them," you added.

      Eddie hummed, "You'd rather be the prey, then?" he questioned, running his tongue over his teeth.

  "I guess... I dunno. I don't think I'd be able to kill something like that. Sometimes it seems like the predators enjoy it, like they get a certain pleasure out of it. And I'm not talking about the food, I'm taking about the chase," you explained. You looked up at him and realized you had been talking his ass off. "Wh-what about you? Would you rather be the predator or the prey?" you asked him.

     "I haven't really thought about it," he lied, "I guess... predator?" he said, shrugging.

       "That's understandable. I guess most people would chose to be predator, I can see why. I just don't think I have it in me to kill something like that," you sighed. "I-we can talk about something else if you want. I feel like I've been talking your ear off," you chuckled awkwardly.

     "No, no. It's fine, I like it..." Eddie was about to say something else when his attention was drawn back to the tv. On the screen was a closeup shot of a lion tearing apart a gazelle while it was still alive, struggling to escape the lion's iron grip.

     "Wow, look at those teeth," you gasped in amazement. At your words, Eddie pressed his tongue against one of his newly grown fangs. "As sad as it is, it's life. And shit, is it beautiful," you continued to gawk at the screen. You had gotten up and out of your seat, crawling to sit closer to the tv.

     "Pretty impressive," Eddie mumbled, his gaze switching from between the tv to you.

    "Can you just imagine one of those things sneaking up on you? Hell, there's hardly a sound coming from them. And then they pounce, and the next thing you know, their teeth have sunk into your skin. It's terrifying... terrifying, yet beautiful," you muttered, your eyes going wide at the idea.

     Eddie shuffled around in his seat. You had to have known what you were doing to him. There was no way that this was just some sick coincidence, it couldn't be.