〘 ᴀᴘʀɪʟ 15 : ꜰʀɪᴅᴀʏ 〙

"Come on let's be honest, right? You've been waiting for us 'til now. Here we are, and things are gonna get freaking hot and wild~!!! So can you feel the Jazz?—"

"Ah shit!" Jay bumps into someone, dropping his headphones. Upon looking to see who he bumped into, he sees a face of cringe coming off them. "Hmph." Jay places back his headphones on, not caring about them and continues his way to school. The music continues playing, drowning the noise of the outside world. He always liked being in his own weird little world...even if that means he dances on the sidewalk.

[ Falconwood Academy ]

As Jay was heading over to his classroom, he spotted Zane in the courtyard, sketching away. "Yo Zane!" He calls out to him as he approaches the busy artist. Zane looks around, trying to find the source of the voice. But the moment he spots Jay, he closes his sketchbook "Hello" he says politely.

"What'cha drawing?" Jay asks as he lowers his headphones. "A butterfly." Zane opens the sketchbook showing it. "Wow...it's so detailed." Jay says in awe, "It's almost like it can fly out of the page!" "Thank you."

Awkward silence falls between the two...

It's not like Jay and Zane aren't friends it's just that they're both weird and awkward in their own ways to the point they can't understand each other sometimes. And that sucks because Jay really REALLY hates awkward silence.

"I almost got hit by a car one time—"
"Excuse me...?"

'Welp, that's one way to start a conversation.' Jay mentally slaps himself on the forehead. "I accidentally left spotify on max volume and didn't see that I was on the road. Not my fault that I was busy grooving." He explains.

"Did you jaywalk?" Zane asks out of the blue. "Huh?" "Y'know...cause your name is Jay Walker?"

"No, I did NOT!" Jay exclaims. 'I can't believe he said that so seriously...' "I just have a bad habit of dancing with my headphones on! It happened earlier too, just don't question it okay!"

Zane looks like he wasn't paying attention, busy drawing away...that is until, "Do you mind dancing for me?"

The question caught Jay off-guard, "E-Eh...!? Why!?"

Zane slightly tilts his head as he turns to him with a smile, "Because you seemed so passionate about it."

Jay's face turned red, "I-I mean! Yeah i guess I am...but I only do it because I like to be in my head okay! But that doesn't mean I'm good! I only dance around people unintentionally hahahaha!!!"

Suddenly the bell rings.

"OHLOOKATTHETIMEIGOTTAGOBYE!!!!" Jay starts sprinting off to his classroom in an almost comedic way. "But...aren't we classmates?" Zane says, confused.

[ Classroom ]

Jay got a few stares when he launched himself onto his seat. 'Oh my fsm, I can't believe I just did that...' He rests his head on his arms, 'Making friends is so hard...' he lets out a sigh before closing his eyes for a bit but jolts up when he realizes something 'Come to think of it, what's Zane's last name???'

Speak of the devil, Zane enters the classroom. As soon as he sits on his desk and grabs his stuff, Jay immediately calls out to him "Hey Zane–" Only for the teacher to enter the class. "Yes Jay?" Zane turns to him. "Um...never mind."

'It's embarrassing if I ask him myself. Wait...I know that Ms. Jenny calls everyone for attendance by their last names! I'll just have to endure class for a bit and wait for History class.'

[ Later... ]

'It's 4th period...surely history has to be next right???' Jay sighs before approaching one of the girls at the front of the class as Zane was nowhere to be seen at the moment. "Hey, do you know when's History gonna start?" He asks.

"Hm? Oh uh...we don't have History today." The silver-haired girl said. "Oh...thanks."

'GOD FUCKING DAMMIT JAY JUST ASK HIM FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!' He resists the urger to yell his thoughts out loud.

"Actually,  do you know where Zane is?" He asks the girls again. "I think he went to the garden...that's where he usually is, right?" The meek girl questions herself. "Good enough, thanks."

Jay runs off to the garden, which is actually next to the faculty so he had to stop running to not get scolded. When he enters, he spots Zane, sketching away as usual.

"Don't your legs get tired after standing for a while???" Jay asks. "No...? I don't think so at least." Zane stated. "Seriously!? Man, you gotta be a robot or something for that..." Jay says light-heartedly as a joke, but he doesn't notice the way Zane abruptly stops his pencil.

"...you were gonna ask me something this morning, right?" He quickly changes the subject. "Yeah, that's kinda why I came here for but the question is really dumb..." Jay lets out an embarrassed laugh. "What is it then?"

Jay sucks in a breath, "Um...I wanted to know what's your last name and I waited until History came along to find out but turns out we had no History today."

Zane becomes quiet for a bit and Jay starts to get worried.

'You're an idiot."
"THAT'S NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FOR YOU TO SAY!!!"

Zane lets out a chuckle, "It's Julien."
"H-Huh...?" Jay looks at him in confusion. "My last name is Julien." Zane repeated. "I get that but...it sounds more like a first name than a last name." Jay stated.

"I understand. Still...I'm surprised that you forgot my name when it's just the first day."

"SHUT UP!!!"

─┉─¡! • !¡─┉─

[ A/N ]
[ This chapter is just...chaotic ]
[ Oh yeah, I watched Horimiya recently so the name thing was heavily inspired by that ]
[ And the song at the start is "Groovy!" from Persona 5: Dancing ]
[ These two are just so fun to write ]