Home Again, Home Again

At the gates of the castle which were know just about a mile from where Lady Kayley and Sir Garrett were riding in from the countryside, a young and slender male guard who couldn't have been more than eighteen years of age — scurried up to his guard's post and rang a loud bell that everyone in the courtyard and inside the castle could hear. He cupped a hand over his mouth as his reddish-orange hair remained tightly tucked underneath his helmet, as the sun highlighted his several facial freckles.

"Here ye! Here ye! Lady Kayley and Sir Garrett have returned!" The boy cried with excitement, waving at the two knights as they approached the drawbridge, which two other guards happily opened up for them, hitting the cobblestone ground with a gentle thud.

"Thank you, Avalon!" Kayley called with a cheerful voice up to the young guard, who waited until the drawbridge had closed firmly behind them before climbing down a creaky wooden ladder to the ground to meet the two of them.

"Have you been training every day like I told you?" Garrett asked the boy with a reassuring smile, as him and Kayley were helped off of the horse by another guard who led Lance off to the castle's stables to be fed and groomed.

"Oh, of course, Sir! I've been practicing all the things you showed me, and I'm even getting better at handling my dagger!" Avalon answered eagerly.

"Very good, we'll resume our one-on-one sessions tomorrow morning. For now, be proud of all you've accomplished so far." Garrett told him, placing a hand on the young lad's shoulder before him and Kayley began making their way through the courtyard toward the front steps of the stone castle.

Standing there waiting for them, was King Arthur, who stood beside Lady Julianna, the latter of which waved over at her daughter and smiled warmly upon seeing her and Garrett once again. Next to her, the legendary wizard known only as Merlin who stood there gripping his signature magical staff. Atop the staff, Ayden remained perched contently, chirping with delight and gently flapping his wings as he saw Kayley and Garrett coming up the castle's front steps to greet their allies.

"Good Morning, your Highness." Garrett told the king as he came up to him, shaking the other man's hand.

"Come now, Garrett, you're more than just one of my knights. You're an ally, a friend. You're more than welcome to call me Arthur." Arthur replied while smiling, giving him a warm embrace. Meanwhile, Kayley approached her Julianna and gave her a tight squeeze as she smiled to herself.

"Mother, how are you?" She asked her sweetly, as Julianna hugged her back and relished seeing her daughter once again.

"I'm well, Kayley, and yourself?" Julianna responded, pulling away from the embrace after a couple moments and holding both of her daughter's hands firmly.

"Garrett and I had a nice few days off. Very peaceful, you should have seen the cottage, it was absolutely gorgeous." She answered back.

"Oh believe me, I have." Julianna told her with a mischievous smirk on her lips, to which her daughter tilted her head in confusion.

"You have?" She asked.

"Why, of course. Where do you think your father and I spent our honeymoon after we were wed?" Julianna answered, as Kayley playfully shuddered at the thought of her parents being romantically intimate with one another. However, the mood quickly fell between the two of them as Garrett, Arthur, and Merlin all headed inside the castle to give them a few moments alone with one another. Ayden, flew in behind them, following closely behind Merlin.

"Father.." Kayley responded with a saddened voice, her facial expression changing to one more downtrodden.

Julianna could tell right away that her daughter was remorseful that Sir Lionel had passed long before he could see his daughter save the kingdom of Camelot, become the first ever female knight, and get married to the love of her life. Sighing heavily, she placed a loving hand on Kayley's cheek.

"Oh darling, I know how much it would've meant for him to be here with us. But you know just as much as I, that he's watching over us right now, and he's so proud of you and the young lady you've become." She explained, as tears welled up in Kayley's eyes, before the two of them pulled one another in for another warm embrace, this one longer and more meaningful in the moment.

As the afternoon carried on, it eventually tiring to evening, had the sun had set on the kingdom, and by that time, dinner was served. Everyone had gathered in the castle's dining hall for a luncheon, which had been prepared by the staff of cooks and placed on the long rectangular oak table. The table itself, was covered in a long thick-lined gold table runner, with tassels at the end of either side. Decorative candelabras adorned the lengthy table, as King Arthur sat at the head of the table, with Julianna sitting on one side of him, beside Merlin, and Kayley on the other, beside Garrett. Ayden was happily perched on a wooden stand behind everyone, happily pecking at a small pile of seeds and worms. Other knights of the round table were seated at the table as well, as long with the staff of maids, butlers, and other people who worked throughout the castle.

"This food is delicious as always, Arthur." Kayley told the king with a proud smile, digging into the roast turkey, haggis, and tomato soup that was on her plate.

"I'm certainly glad to hear that, Kayley. Your mother and I wanted to personally ensure that your first proper dinner back at the castle was nothing but the best." He replied, sipping his crimson-red wine.

"I don't think I'll be able to eat for at least a week after tonight." Garrett cut in jokingly, laughing while eating his food as well.

Dinner went well, with everyone at the table having left the table at the end of the meal with full bellies and smiles on their faces. Garrett and Kayley had retired to their private quarters, as with everyone else in the castle who had gone to bed by that point. The former of which was laying down on the large king sized wooden canopy bed, dressed in a long white nightshirt with loose hanging sleeves, and matching pants.

"Mind if I join you, my love?" Kayley called over to him with a smirk, dressed in a pale green nightgown with long cuffed sleeves, and a skirt that ended at her ankles with an embroidered lace neckline and skirt hem.

Raising an eyebrow, her husband sat up against the pillows and reached out his hand for her, prompting her to come over to her side of the bed and crawling into bed while accepting his hand graciously.

"How are you tonight, my gorgeous wife?" He told her softly, as she cuddled up against her husband and placed her hands on her chest.

"Happy to be home once more." She had answered lightly, giggling like a young schoolgirl as Garrett began affectionately running his strong fingers through her long hair.

"I couldn't agree more, goodnight, love." Garrett replied, kissing her forehead before closing his eyes.

Taking one last loving look up at the man who truly was her soulmate and better half, Kayley kissed his nose and sighed dreamily.

"Goodnight to you too, dear."

~ END OF CHAPTER 4 ~