Chapter 4

“Well, I…”

When I hesitated to answer, Mr. Reed said in a cynical way.

“I’ll come back in three days. Give me the right answer then.”

Mr. Reed, who said so, passed by me.

At the same time as Reed’s footsteps were moving away, I checked my three younger brothers who only looked at me.

Leo was so surprised that he looked up at me, even forgetting to cry.

“Sister. What’s that?”

Leo, who still has a lot of words he doesn’t know, was scared by the bad atmosphere and froze. Daniel bit his lips and bowed his head.

Tears from his eyes fell on the marble floor. And Edward is…

“Edward!”

Edward, who turned his body around, ran out of the house as it was. I quickly chased Edward, but his speed was so fast as he moved further away.

“Stop, Edward! Stop!”

Growing up in the city, I couldn’t keep up with Edward, who grew up in the countryside.

“Hah…”

In an instant, I caught my rough breath and chased Edward, who became distant.

For some reason, the back looked so sad. Then I choked up and something soared from the inside.

I went to Mr. Reed, who had not yet taken off in the carriage. Then I shouted.

“It’s understandable if I go to Cooper, but how can you tell me to abandon my family so easily? On top of that, they’ll treat their adopted daughter like a doll as a real daughter! Don’t say anything funny and don’t come close to my house again!”

The absence of parents doesn’t mean that I’m not Herrington.

And it’s not like I’m not family with these kids. We have always been a family and precious siblings since birth.

To abandon them to me and enter as a Cooper was pathetic. That sounds unreasonable.

I stared at Mr. Reed with a huff and turned around and tried to go back home.

When Daniel followed me, I was holding Leo’s hand.

“Daniel…”

I showed an unseemly appearance. It’s something my mother and father wouldn’t have done.

“Why didn’t you follow him?”

“Don’t say nonsense!”

No matter how smart and mature Daniel is, he is still a 10-year-old child who needs protection.

I can see how hurt and scared such a guy would have been in this situation in my eyes when I am 14 years old.

I’m pretending to be the oldest, but… Still, I want to do my best to be with my younger brothers. That’s the family I learned from.

“Elizabeth, family is always together when you’re having a hard time or when you’re happy.”

My mother and father taught me the value of family like that.

Giving up and sacrificing is love, and the family members love each other deeply.

“There must be another way. Don’t worry too much.”