Chapter 11

(Elizabeth’s pov)

Tock.

Tock tock.

Tock tock.

Tock tock. Tock tock.

A very small noise could be heard through Leo’s breathing in the dark.

I was sleeping soundly, rubbing my eyes, and got up from the floor.

My whole body felt like it was going to break, and a groan came out of my own accord.  Immediately after I was beaten, I felt the pain was tolerable, but after I slept a little, I felt like I was going to die.

“Ugh.”

Leo, who was lying next to me, whispered in his sleep. Meanwhile, there was a knocking sound from somewhere.

“…Sis! Sister!”

A cautious voice could be heard through the small iron bars in the door.

“Daniel?”

“Sister?”

“Daniel, why are you here…?”

I got up and walked over to the door to see Daniel.

The iron bars on the door were set at the eye level of an adult, so Daniel hung on the bars and only his eyes were exposed. Even he looked like he could barely see inside with his bangs.

“Sister. Are you hungry? I don’t think Mrs. Miller is bringing anything.”

Of course. It hurts. I felt like I had lost all my energy because I was beaten and couldn’t even eat.

“No. It’s okay.”

“Sister. Get this right away.”

Daniel shoved something of him through the narrow cage. He handed it reflexively to a form that looked hazy in the dark. It was nothing but dry bread.

“Where did this come from?”

There’s no way Mrs. Miller would have asked him to bring me the bread.

“I slipped one from the kitchen.”

“In the kitchen?”

“Yes.”

I couldn’t believe Daniel’s words about sneaking. You came here for the first time yesterday and you hid in the kitchen to find something to eat and even sneaked food?

It would be more accurate to say that he secretly hid his share of bread from dinner and gave it to me. And to see if I was right, the bread was severely pressed and crumpled. It’s like it’s been stuffed in his pocket for a long time.

Can I take this? How will you eat it if I receive it? Daniel is now only ten years old. Such a guy starves for a meal and yields bread…

My heart was full and I felt like I could just drink water for a while. The tip of my nose wrinkled, and the corners of my eyes were moist.

I wanted to ask him to take it back, but I couldn’t because if I refused, it would be like ignoring Daniel’s heart.

“Thanks. Well… I will eat.”

I had to keep my voice from trembling. For Daniel, the height of the bars were high, and it was dark. Because of that, he won’t be able to see what kind of face I made.