Return To Hell

Rubble - with fresh grass and flowers growing over the top. You glance at the vine-covered towers and shudder. Catra holds your hand and trails her finger down your face.

It's weird - seeing the Fright zone like this.

'Well, this is a change, huh?'

'Yeah,' Catra breathes, looking around.

So much blood was shed here.

So much darkness.

Catra's spirals - the prison of her mind and yours.

Just go! Leave me like everyone else has.

You insolent children.

She remembers it too.

An impromptu tear rolls down your face. Catra wipes it away and you hug her.

Scorpia's about to join in, then Catra scowls and holds you tighter. You sink into her as Scorpia backs away.

'Where's the Black Garnet Chamber?' Glimmer asks, 'you guys have been here way more times than me. Do you recognise it?'

Scorpia looks out at all the plant-covered buildings, 'gosh it's, er, it's hard to tell with, erm, all the flowers.'

You just stay there with your head between your wife's boobs. As she strokes your spine.

Glimmer clears her throat, 'uh, guys?'

Catra rolls her eyes and straightens you up, 'what?'

A sudden red burst protrudes out of the ground in the distance.

You turn to Glimmer, 'is that-'

'The black garnet chamber,' Glimmer gulps.

'Oh boy,' Scorpia wheezes.

Catra doesn't let you go but stares at it intently.

'We've found it,' you venture.

And why the fuck is it shooting red rays into the sky?

'Let's go,' Glimmer says decisively, grabbing you all and teleporting you to the remains.

You start back as you behold the room - the atmosphere. The only thing left in one piece without any greenery growing over is the gem. Creating a deeply unsettling contrast.

Scorpia's eyes glow wetly, she goes to touch it, then retracts it quickly.

'Hey,' Catra cuts, 'don't - don't rush it, okay?'

'What do you mean?' Glimmer says incredulously, 'I don't want to alarm anyone, but the world is kind of in our hands right now.'

'She's scared,' Catra challenges, 'the gem senses fear. You of all people should know that.'

Glimmer gulps and backs away, 'you're right. Sorry, Scorpia.'

Scorpia takes a deep breath, 'well, this definitely wasn't what I had planned this afternoon.'

'Sorry to drag you into this,' you say quietly.

'Hey - it is what it is,' Scorpia half chuckles, 'it's not your fault Etheria's magic is mysteriously disappearing again.'

You flinch. Remembering the war. All of them. You, Catra and the gang going around the world to restore all the magic.

Did you somehow do it all wrong? Was it all for nothing?

Catra pulls you closer with her tail and you watch as Scorpia tries to connect to the stone.

'You've got this, Scorpia,' Glimmer coaches, 'just close your eyes and conjure the bond in your mind.'