025

The pressure of hands crushing down on my throat jolted me awake. I grabbed at my throat as the pain radiated and noticed the pain in my ribs as well as my leg. I looked around the room, realizing it was my own, not remembering how I got here. I moved my legs to the side of the bed, taking it slowly when I noticed somebody on the floor. 

"Dani, don't get up. You need to rest," Steve sat up, trying to get me back into bed. I grabbed his arm and made him help me walk downstairs. I broke down in the stairway as the pain overwhelmed me, and my tears came out silently. I heard footsteps and looked up to see Max, Dustin, and Eddie standing in front of me and I hid my face from them.

"Steve, you were supposed to keep her in bed," Dustin said sounding angry. He moved to put his hand on my shoulder but I flinched and swatted it away. "Dani, you need to rest." 

I tried to say something but no words came out, making me cry harder. I felt like I was hit by a bus and nobody could help the radiating pain inside. I closed my eyes and the nightmare began again, his hands crushing down on my throat, killing me. I stood up and slowly walked into the kitchen, pushing away the offered help. I noticed my reflection in the hallway mirror. I had dark circles under my eyes and my cheek and throat were severely bruised. I grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and turned around to see everyone still staring at me. 

"Do you need help upstairs?" Eddie asked, his voice startling me. I looked at him and felt the pain around my throat. I noticed Chrissy getting up from the couch, smiling at me. I pointed to her and she helped me upstairs. Once back into my bed, I raised my shirt revealing a huge bruise on my side. I placed the ice pack as Chrissy covered me up with a blanket and sat next to me. 

"What day is it?" I weakly asked. 

"It's Tuesday," Chrissy responded, grabbing my copy of The Hobbit. "Do you want me to read to you?" 

"What happened?" 

"You beat her, Dani."

"What happened to me?" I asked reaching for my throat. 

"That spider bitch showed you your worse nightmare," Chrissy said as she reached for my hand. "He could never hurt you, Dani." 

I noticed Eddie leaning against the door frame behind her, as tears stung in my eyes. Chrissy looked back to see him. 

"Do you want me to go?" She asked and I shook my head. She got up and handed him the book. He walked in and gently sat next to me. 

"How do you feel?" 

"Like I was almost killed," I gave a small, fake smile. Eddie reached for my hand and I flinched before letting him grab it. 

"You are badass, Dani. If only you could have seen what you did," Eddie smiled down at me. 

"Eddie, I-" Tears began rolling down my cheek. "I'm sorry." 

"Dani, you have no reason to be sorry. You did nothing wrong." 

I stifled my tears and sharply inhaled. Eddie reached his hand towards my face to wipe away my tears, but I pulled away, wiping them before he could. He furrowed his brows trying to figure out what was wrong. I looked down at the book in his hands. 

"Dani, are you ok?" He asked drawing my attention away from his hands and back to him. 

"I'm scared, Eddie." I gently pulled my knees to my chest. 

"Scared of what? You killed Lolth, we are all safe now." 

"But for how long? How long until something else comes after me and hurts one of you guys?" I rested my forehead on my knees. Eddie remained silent. "She showed me my worse nightmare, Eddie, that's what did this to me."