039

The next few days went by quickly. Eddie and I hung out nearly every single day after school unless my dad was home. I rarely left the house, but I felt safest there for the first time in a while.

"You and Eddie literally are never apart. You are telling me he still isn't your boyfriend?" Chrissy asked on the phone. 

"No, I don't want to put any pressure on this. You know how it is. It gets labeled, something happens, then you end up unhappy like your parents." 

"Not every relationship is like that, you and Billy weren't." 

"He died, Chrissy. We didn't just break up." 

"Ok, fair point, but you killed that spider bitch, Eddie is safe." 

"But what if he's not?" There was a pause on the other end before I heard a quiet Steve in the background. "Ok Chrissy, I'm going to bed." 

"Wait." There was a long pause, I looked over at the clock and it turned midnight. "Happy birthday!" 

"Thank you, Chrissy. Now I'm going to bed. Tell Steve if he wants to be unnoticed he needs to not breathe so damn loud." 

"We love you," They both said. 

"I love you guys." I hung up the phone and curled up under my blankets until I heard something at my window. I quickly got up and saw Eddie trying to get in, so I opened the window. 

"What are you doing here? If my dad hears you," He climbed in the window, knocking things off of my desk. "Shhhh." Once he was in he looked down at me before pulling my face to his, and kissing me. 

"Happy birthday, Danielle Henderson." I smiled as he held me against his chest. 

"Thanks, Eddie." I sat back down on my bed as he just stared at me. He pulled something out of his pocket and tried to hand it to me. "No, give it to me tonight, please." 

"Dani, I want you to have it now," He wined. "I want to be the first person to give you something for your birthday." 

"You did, you gave me my first kiss of eighteen." He smiled before sitting down next to me. He pulled something out from the inside of his jacket, that was wrapped in brown paper. 

"Will you at least open this?" He pushed it into my arms. I looked down at it and groaned in agreement. I began ripping the paperback and noticed the leather backing. 

"Eddie, you did not." I looked up at him smiling down at me. I pulled the rest of the wrapping off, revealing a leather-bound book. The Hobbit. I felt tears of joy in my eyes as I looked back up at him. 

"You like it?"

"I love it." I grabbed his face and pulled it to mine, making our lips crash together. He pulled me onto his lap and I leaned back to look at him. "Where did you come from?" 

"The window." I playfully hit his chest before leaning my head on his shoulder. I heard a sound from the hallway and then looked back at Eddie. 

"You should go before-" He kissed me on the forehead. 

"I know." He got up and climbed out the window, pausing to look back at me. "I'll see you later, birthday girl." I smiled as I watched him jump off the roof and run back to his van. I closed the window and locked it, then crawled back into bed. My bedroom door opened slightly and dad popped his head in. 

"Happy birthday, sweety." 

"Thanks, dad." 

"Is everything ok? I heard something up here." 

"Yea, I'm fine, I just knocked something off my desk."

"Your mom and Dustin will be here at ten for your birthday breakfast."