Chapter 28

Let me tell you, the Dawsons were an intimidating bunch

Let me tell you, the Dawsons were an intimidating bunch. Not only was Lili a model, but her brother was a professional football player, her other brother was a famous comedian, and her sister-in-law was a famous country singer. Even just listing those off would have most guys quaking in their boots, but not me. I'll admit that when I had asked Cami to get her family to come I hadn't expected them all to be famous, but I had asked for this.

I found myself standing next to Alex. Alex was definitely the less intimidating brother, but I had a feeling what was coming.

"So," Alex said slowly. "You're my sister's boyfriend."

"Yes," I agreed. I had the impulsive need to add sir, but I stopped myself because Alex was only six or seven years older than I was.

"Funny," he said flatly. "I've never heard of you."

He was trying to scare me, but I was a brother too and I knew exactly how to respond. "We only started dating last week."

He grunted. "What are your intentions with my sister?" he asked seriously.

I glanced across the courtyard to Lili who was dancing around with Danny, who always surprised me with how good he was on his feet. She was laughing and her laugh made me smile.

"I'm not sure where this is going," I told him honestly. "But I'm in it for as long as she'll have me."

"Good answer," Alex decided after a moment's pause. "Did you actually do all of this for her after only one week of dating?"

I shrugged, but my eyes never left Lili. "Anyone would do the same."

Alex snorted. "After my first month of dating Jess, I hadn't met her parents. Fuck if I wasn't a nervous wreck." He looked over to me. "You seem to have your emotions under control."

I didn't. It was crazy to me that Alexander Dawson, the comedian, was standing next to me calling Jessie McRoy, the famous country singer, Jess as though it was the most natural thing in the entire world. I was trying my best not to fanboy all over Lily's family, I didn't want to be that guy, but underneath the surface, I was that guy. I had actually seen everything that Alexander had done, every video that was up on youtube of him I have seen four times over. I was a huge fan, his videos were my guilty pleasure. But I didn't tell him because yet again, I didn't want to be that guy.

I settled on a laugh in response. "I'm glad it looks that way."

***

The night started to wind down, Danny's mom came by and picked up Mila, so it was only the adults left. If you counted a bunch of college students as adults. I found myself beside Mr. Dawson. We were talking idly about my pick up truck until Cami got bored and walked away from us.

"Josh," Mr Dawson said. I could feel the conversation shift in only the way he said my name.

"Yes sir?"