Chapter 9: The Killer

Engaged...

(Y/n) and Dio are... Engaged...

Mr. Joestar's reaction was the opposite of what Jonathan was feeling. He applauded both of them, Dio and (Y/n). The Joestar was proud of the two for their newfound love. To think that the daughter figure he's always wanted ending up with the son he adopted and cared for deeply... He was deeply pleased. Still a little surprising that (Y/n) and Jojo didn't end up together. He could have sworn he placed a bet with her parents that they'd fall for each other one day.

Oh well. Dio was happy. (Y/n) was happy. They were fantastic together. Dio had always expressed to his father that he wanted (Y/n). He was surprised, but not disappointed that he got who he wanted. (Y/n) was perfect.

"Dio, (Y/n), that's lovely news! Words can't tell you how much I am beaming with joy for the both of you."

The other Joestar's reaction was not as excited as his father's. He was happy for (Y/n), he really was... But was he happy for Dio? He can't really bring himself to fully say yes to that inner thought question. He could say he was happy how things went. It was a decent thing to do. He couldn't exactly get the words out of his lips. Jonathan stood there in awe, mouth wide open and everything.

(Y/n) gave Mr. Joestar a warm embrace. She didn't care if she might catch this 'cold' he had. She just wanted to show her appreciation, knowing he would love to have a father-daughter bonding moment between them. They had grown close over the years, he had to often remind himself that she wasn't his child. He still loved her like she was his own regardless. (Y/n) can't recall the number of times her father would tell her about how Mr. Joestar always treated them like family. Then again, he was a very family oriented person. While he seemed stern and misguided at first, in his heart he'd always care for those he considered family.

Seems like by her getting engaged to Dio, he could finally have his dream of uniting them come true. She might even have him and her father walk her down the aisle together.

"Thank you, Mr. Joestar-"

"Please, call me father!"

He was finally able to say that after so long, wondering if he'd even have the chance. Now that he could, he never regretted any of it.

"Wow, I have two fathers now!" (Y/n) exclaimed, "I have so much to say...Yet I can't find the right things to properly tell you how much you've done for me, Mr. Joe- I mean...father..."

Jonathan bit his lip, putting on an enthusiastic face so he didn't kill the mood. He offered Dio a firm handshake, grinning ear to ear. It was hard to do so, it really was. He didn't know if he could look Dio in the eye and tell him how good it must feel to marry the girl he grew up with.

He lost his chance a long time ago, but he wasn't going to ruin it for her now.

"Congratulations, brother!" Jonathan pulled Dio into his own embrace the moment, "I'm happy for you two. I feel a little foolish for not seeing it sooner."

"Of course you didn't, Jojo... You were too busy being in denial," Dio thought to himself, though accepted the Joestar's gesture of pride, "Thank you, Jojo. I couldn't have met her without you."

That... Technically wasn't a lie. It did make Jonathan tilt his head slightly at the statement. The years really did teach him things. He wasn't going to say anything about it though. All he had to do was keep smiling and shaking his hand.

"Jonathan! You'll be my flower girl at the wedding, right?" (Y/n) hopped over with a delighted gaze, "Throw the rose petals at everyone!"

"F-Flower girl?! (Y/n)! I don't know if I can be one," Jonathan raised his arms, "I don't know if I'd look good in a dress."