Chapter 11

Ethan POV

A week later and the whole illness escapade had pass. Thank goodness. Little kids do not tolerate illness well. Now, Lilly was smiley and happy and was much easier to handle.

I was sleeping peacefully about a certain someone when a finger poked me in the cheek. Trying to ignore it, I snuggled closer to my comforter. Again, the finger poked my cheek, but this time it continued. Annoyed, I lazily opened my eyes to be greeted by ones like my own.

Lilly looked at me with glassy eyes, sniffles sounding in rhythm. Glancing over her ruffled appearance, I quickly bundled her in my arms. Rubbing her back soothingly as sobs escape her lips.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I ask gently.

"You leave me. Don't leave me." She cries in my chest.

"Shh. Baby, I'm right here. What made you think I was gone?" I question her. She hasn't been this distressed since the first few nights after the accident.

"Dream you leave me. I was all alone. No mommy, no daddy, no bubby. Just me." She hiccups. Holding her close, I kiss her forehead.

"I'll always be here for you. You're my little princess," I glance at the clock 1:32am, "Now let's get some sleep." I tuck Lilly in and snuggle with her, her eyes already drooping.

"You be here when I wake up?" She asked drowsily."

"Always." I sleepily reassure her before sleep overtakes my body.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

8:42am the numbers read. My eyes glazed with sleep, crust in the corners. Slowly, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Stretching my stiff muscles, I place my feet on the carpeted floor of my room. Glancing at Lilly's sleeping figure, I stifle a laugh. Her body was splayed like a starfish, drool on the corners of her mouth, and snores escaping her mouth.

Shaking my head in amusement, I walk across the hall to my bathroom to get ready. I jump in the shower quickly, hoping that Lilly won't wake. Once I'm completely clean, I dry off and put on some jeans and a plaid long sleeve shirt.

I exit the bathroom and head back to my room to see that Lilly had shifted position in her sleep. Now, instead of her starfish pose, Lilly had curled up into a tiny ball with her thumb in her mouth. I would not miss the opportunity so I took a quick picture on my phone and set it as my wallpaper.

A few minutes later and Lilly was stirring in her sleep. Gradually, she began to fully awaken, her eyes lightly opening.

"Bubby." She murmured drowsily. I cooed and rubbed her leg.

"Morning baby." I greeted her and lifted her into my arms.

I headed downstairs and sat her in her booster at the table so I could watch her while I fixed breakfast.

"Waffles sound good babe?" I asked her getting out the frozen waffles to warm up along with some syrup.

"Yeah!" Lilly yelled excitedly. Waffles were her favorite;however, I prefer pancakes honestly.

"While the waffles were warming up, I cut us some up some fresh strawberries and poured Lilly a sippy cup of milk and a glass for me. Humming to a tune, I grabbed the now warm waffles and fixed us each a plate with some syrup. I carried the food to the table, setting Lilly's plate in front of her and we dived into our food the second I sat down.

Thirty minutes later and I had Lilly coloring a picture of a puppy, while I was doing the dishes an cleaning up the kitchen.

"We get puppy?" Lilly asked.

"Maybe in a couple of year. Maybe...." I trailed off. Yeah, I don't think we are getting a puppy. Ever. Too much work and Lilly is stressful as it is.

"Pwease bubby." Lilly begged with her puppy dog eyes. Ha, that's ironic.

I groaned, "Lilly stop. I said no."

Lilly sniffles and rubs her eyes like she does when she's about to burst into tears. I pick her up and rock her while calmly rubbing circles on her back.

"Puppy." Lilly whimpers pathetically.
Nope, not gonna fall for it.

"Bubby. Puppy." Lilly sniffles, hiding her face in my neck.

Must. Resist. Temptation. To. Buy. Puppy.

"Wub Bubby and puppy." She cries.

Where's the nearest pet store?
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

I can't believe I'm doing this. Oh my why? I was currently chasing Lilly who was trying to strangle the closest puppy she could get her grimy hands on. Or is that a hug? I can't really tell.

"So be honest with me, how much is this going to cost me?" I asked the worker with a grimace.

Laughing at my face, the worker elaborates on how much is coming out of my incredibly tight wallet. Dang, maybe I should ask this guy where the nearest job I can get is.

Lilly came toddling over with a puppy barely in her arms. She smiled giddily up at me.

"My puppy." Lilly claimed and sat on her rear with the puppy placed on her lap. The puppy was a golden retriever and was licking Lilly's face happily. Aww puppies and toddlers, what a cute combination.

Sighing at the money that was going to cost us I payed for the puppy.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" I asked the worker.

"It's a boy and he's ready to have a new home." The worker smiled at us and I turned to Lilly.

"What's his name munchkin?" I asked her as I lifted Lilly in one arm and the puppy in the other. I grabbed a shopping cart and placed Lilly in the seat with the puppy in her life with a strict warning to be careful with the little guy.

"Chester!" Lilly all but shouted as she petted the puppy, uh Chester's, fur.

"Okay then. Let's get Chester some supplies."

Did you hear that? That was my wallet fading out of existence. Did I state that I needed a job?

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

When we got home, I put Lilly down for a nap as I situated Chester and his expensive belongings. We had stopped at McDonald's for a quick, inexpensive, lunch.

I went and grabbed my laptop that mom and dad had bought me for school to go job searching. Finally, after what felt like millenniums, I found an easy job at a nearby bakery. I filled in an application and looked for a cheap online school to complete my degree. Yeah, not much luck on that.

Sighing, I leaned back in the recliner and turned on the television, flipping through boring channels. Finding nothing, I entertained myself by texting Juliet.

Me: What's going on? Nm here.

Juliet: Nothing too interesting. How's Lilly?

Me: We got a puppy

Juliet: U did what?

Me: Pls don't ask. It still hurts.

Juliet: send me a pic pls. I luv puppies

Me: no, come over and meet him yourself ;)

Juliet: maybe I will ;)

Our conversation ended abruptly when Lilly's little feet came downstairs and into my lap. Chuckling, I placed her more comfortably on my lap and cuddled with her. Chester seated himself on the couch by Lilly's head and licked her cheek, making her giggle.
I was contempt. I was happy.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

A/N: Oh my. You guys don't know how bad I feel. School is kicking my butt right now, but summer is coming soon and I'll update more frequently. Last day of school: May 29th 😝

Jalyn xx