Chapter 1

Ethan POV

February 12, 2014. The day that changed my life forever. Changed my carefree ways and fate. The day I grew up. The day I lost my parents. The day I got handed the responsibility of my 3 year old sister, Lilly.

You're kidding me right?

I'm only 20, just barely out of my teen years. I don't have a job and am studying at a college in North Georgia. I cannot raise a child. But like always, I don't get a say.

I'm filling out the sheet in my old dorm. I want to remain here, but I know I need to look after Lilly. My sister is the only one left. Neither of my parents had good relationships with their families when mom discovered she was pregnant with me. You could say I was the thing that tore our other relatives apart. When they told me that mom was pregnant, I was so excited. I mean I have been an only child for basically all my childhood and I wanted a sibling. I was ecstatic when Lilly was born. I had finished filling the sheet out.

Drop-Out Sheet:

Name: Ethan Alexander Sanders

Age: 20

Birthday: January 18, 1994

Grade: Sophomore.

Parents: Allison & Aaron Sanders

Reason for Dropping: Death of parents

I had just finished filling out the sheet, when I looked at the reason. Tears that had been brimming my eyes finally spilled over, making water droplets on the paper. I calm myself down until I'm only sniffling.

I pull myself together and grab the sheet and some of my luggage with the help of my friends, Brian and Caleb. We load my luggage in the trunk of my gray Camry. The boys give me a bro hug and I head my way to drop out. As I hand in my paper, I feel sad.

I mean my parents are dead and I have to raise my sister. This shall be interesting. I make my way to my car and get in the car. I close the car and jam my key into the engine. I buckle up and pull out of Southgate College.( A/N made that up don't know if it's real or not). I begin the trek back to Atlanta, Georgia- my hometown.

^2 Hours Later^

I had just arrived outside the courthouse, where my sister is. I turned the key out and unbuckled. I got out quickly and wrapped my jacket firmly around my body, to keep all heat from escaping me. I hurry up the steps and open the door to the courthouse.

I quickly walk inside and go up to the front desk. The lady eyes me up and down suspiciously.

"Uh. I'm here for my sister, Lilly Sanders." I tell her.

She nods and understanding and sends me a look of sympathy.

"Right through those set of doors is a hallway. The first door on the left is where the papers are." She tells me.

"Thank you," I tell her before running off in the direction she pointed to.

I knock on the door and open it. Sitting in a desk is a man in a suit. Right by the desk is Lilly, playing with some toys. The man nods to the seat in front and I take the gesture and sit down. The man coughs and begins to speak.

"I'm Craig Hurring. I will help you deal with all the paperwork regarding Miss. Sanders and your parents." I nod in understanding.

He continues, "The first thing we need to go over the guardianship papers. I need you to sign on the end of page 1, middle of page 2, and beginning of page 6. I skim over the paper he handed me and sign the pages he told me.

Finally after countless hours of me signing, I finally finish and he hands me certificates.

"Those are your parents death certificate and your sisters birth." He explains to me. I nod. I eventually get to leave and pick up Lilly, who had fallen asleep. I grab her pink coat on the coat hanger and wrap it around her sleeping body. I carry her to my car and set her on the car seat mom and dad had lent me when I took her to the water park.

I carefully strap her in and get in the drivers seat. I drive to our old house and carry her inside. I set her in her bed before going to the kitchen. I look over at the certificates.

Certificate of Death

Name: Allison Harper Jones Sanders

Age: 39

DOB: May 4, 1975

DOD: February 12, 2014

Cause: Car Accident. Head Trauma

Certificate of Death

Name: Aaron Michael Sanders

Age: 41

DOB: September 29, 1973

DOD: February 12, 2014

Cause: Car Accident. Head Trauma

Birth Certificate

Name: Lillian Naomi Caitlyn Sanders

Time: 5:42am

DOB: April 5, 2011

Weight: 5lbs 3 ounces

Parents: Allison and Aaron Sanders

Oh mom and dad, how am I gonna do this?

I need you.