Chapter 2

Wolf Like Me (feat. Shovels & Rope)
by Lera Lynn.

As we make our way through the streets, I try to blink away my growing dizziness. We keep a silent and steady pace, Shane and Glenn take turns looking over their shoulders to make sure I'm still with them.

Or possibly to make sure I'm not going to stab them in the back. But I don't think it's likely they consider me a threat.

Inviting someone unknown to accompany them back to their safe place is either kind and generous or a dangerous ploy.

Maybe they're just stupid and naive? I could be a psycho about to rip their safe place apart.

But they don't seem stupid.

They seem pretty switched on, actually.

Maybe it's all a ruse. Maybe there is no camp.

Maybe they're taking me somewhere to commit horrible acts. Maybe I'm some cult like sacrifice. Maybe it's a camp full of men. Maybe-

They come to a halt and I pull up quickly, just short of colliding with Glenn.

Shane ushers for us to back up and we crouch down behind a nearby fence. He puts his index finger to his lips, signalling us to stay quiet.

He subtly looks around the corner and then waves for us to move.

I scuttle back, along the fence, around a gate and into a front yard, Glenn and Shane close behind.

I hear the gurgling of an undead on the other side of the fence and hear it's dragging feet.

We wait while it makes its way past the house. 

I look up at a tree in the front yard; the air is still today, so it shouldn't be able to pick up our scent.

I've found the undead to be more sight and sound orientated but they could smell as well. Blood especially.

Wait- does dry blood smell?

Shit.

To the guys, my skin probably just looks really dirty. And the blood on the bottom of my shirt is hidden in the knot I tied with the fabric.

Here I am, putting these two in danger again. They should've just left me.

My light headed-ness returns, hitting me hard and I have to shut my eyes.

Why is this happening? I didn't get bit back at the art store. Shane had shoved me inside before any undead reached me.

Hadn't he?

I open my eyes and have a quick scan of my arms for any bite marks. Nothing.

I breathe silent relief and attempt to blink away the dizziness and I steady myself.

"Hey." Shane whispers very quietly as he leans over Glenn, towards me. "You good?"

I nod quickly, brushing him off.

"Let's move." he says.

We jump up and make our way back out into the street. The solo undead continues to move down the street, so we make a run for it, past the last few houses to the end and turn onto a main road.

I look back down the street at the undead we just dodged. I do a double take and blink a few times as I see it trudging past what looks to be a woman in a wheelchair.

I stand in place, debating whether I can make it to the woman in time. I take a step in her direction but it's already reached her.

And it passes the woman and keeps walking.