Chapter 28

Enemy by Imagine Dragons

"We've been out combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along?!" Shane yells at the Greene's as we follow them back to their house.

"Leave us alone!" Maggie turns and yells at him before continuing to help Hershel to the house.

"You knew!"

"Just stop, man." Rick tries to push Shane back.

"Get your hands off me." Shane smacks Ricks hand away and follows Hershel. "You knew and you kept it from us."

"I didn't know." Hershel answers feebly.

"That's bullshit. I think y'all knew."

"We didn't know!" Maggie asserts.

Patricia and Beth climb the porch steps, Maggie and Hershel close behind.

"Why was she there?!" Shane questions.

Hershel stops at the top and turns to answer Shane. "Otis put those people in the barn.. Maybe he found her and put her in there before he was killed."

"You expect me to believe that? What do I look like? Do I look like an idiot?"

"I don't care what you believe!" Hershel replies.

"Everybody just calm down." Rick attempts.

"Get him off my land!" Hershel yells to Rick, pointing a finger at Shane.

"Let me tell you something-" Shane starts, climbing the steps, getting in Hershel's face.

"Hey!" Maggie yells and steps forward, slapping Shane hard across the face. "Don't touch him!"

Shane stares at her and takes a step back.

"Haven't you done enough?" Maggie adds and then leads her father inside.

While I'm angry at Maggie for slapping Shane, I'm equally impressed at her for holding her own.

Hershel stops in the doorway and turns back to us.

"I mean it. Off my land." he states firmly.

Then he and his family disappear inside.

Glenn hesitates for a moment before going inside after Maggie, leaving me with Shane and Rick.

"What are you doin'?" Rick questions Shane.

"Daryl almost died lookin' for her, Rick. Any one of us could have. I'm gonna tell you right now- that son of a bitch.. he knew." Shane answers.

"He didn't know. He's not like that. He opened his home to us." Rick defends.

"He put us all in danger, man. He kept a barn full of walkers!" Shane argues.

"So you just start an insurrection, hand out guns and massacre his family?"

"His family's dead, Rick." Shane says flatly.

"Well, he doesn't believe that." Rick says. "He thinks you just murdered them in cold blood."

"I don't care what he thinks." Shane replies.

"What he thinks, goes. What he thinks, secures us a safe haven. I was handling it, brother. I was handling it and you just went ahead and-"

"You had us out in those woods, lookin' for a little girl that every single one of us knew was dead. That's what you did." Shane says. He looks Rick up and down. "You're just as delusional as that guy."