Chapter 36

Grey by Two Feet

I can die happy.

Shane is here.

Daryl, too.

"Mia. Hey, hey, hey." I hear Shane's frantic voice and feel his hand grip my bicep.

I wish my eyes would open so I could look at him.

All I can do is mumble his name as I fight the losing battle of staying conscious.

"I'm here, I'm here." he replies.

His hands snake between my body and the forest floor as he scoops me up into his arms.

"I got you." his lips whisper against the top of my head.

He holds me securely as he moves quickly.

I hear Daryl's crossbow fire every so often as I slip in and out of reality.

The next thing I know, I hear the starting of a car engine. My body shifts at the little jolt of acceleration and I realise I'm lying down. And a hand is stroking my face and hair.

I manage the impossible and peel my eyes open.

Through narrow, blurry slits, I look up at Shane's face, my head in his lap. He's looking down at me, face full of worry.

My memories didn't do him justice.

He's the most beautiful man I've ever laid eyes on.

"Hey, baby." he whispers down at me, as his hand takes a gentle yet firm hold on the side of my face. "You're safe now."

A weary half smile plays on my lips.

"Fuckin' little warrior." I say, my voice coming out a raspy whisper.

A short breathy laugh escapes him and he reaches toward the front seats. "Fuckin' A."

He gently holds a water bottle to my mouth and helps me take a drink.

"Rest, sweetheart."

It's the last thing I hear before finally falling into unconsciousness.

~

My mind slowly begins to stir, trying to figure out where I am as I come to.

There's something pressing on the side of my throat but then it's gone.

"Heart rate's steady."

Next, my eye is being pulled open and a torch is shone in my face.

I flinch, turning my face away from the light.

"Sorry." Hershel says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Rest is what she needs most right now, but she should eat something." he comments as he moves away from me.

Shane takes his place in my field of vision, standing in the open door of the vehicle I'm still laying in the back of.

"Gotta get you up, sweetheart. Just for a minute, then you can go right back to sleep." He gently props me up and climbs in to sit beside me.

I feel like a rag doll.

Shane helps me take some food and water before I curl up on the seat, resting my head on the window frame.

He tenderly presses his lips to my temple.

"I love you." he whispers as unconsciousness comes and takes me again.

~

The next time I wake, the car is moving and I can feel someone beside me.

I lift my head and look through narrow eyes at my surroundings.