The Consultant

JANUARY 20

The Easlen Residence

6:51PM

Bruce Easlen heard the doorbell ring. He got up and opened the door, finding Dr. Raymond waiting on his front porch.

"Dr. Raymond, right?" Bruce guessed.

"Yes," Dr. Raymond replied.

Bruce stuck his hands in his pockets. He was wearing a thin, gray, jacket, and was also wearing jeans.

"So what do I owe this pleasure on this wintery night?" Bruce asked.

"A few things I need to ask you about," Dr. Raymond said.

"Alright. Come in," Bruce said, gesturing into his house.

"Mr. Easlen, may I ask how you're doing?" Dr. Raymond asked.

"Fine. Why?" Bruce said.

"Well, your younger brother is on the run for attempting to kill someone, possibly multiple some-bodies. Does that bother you?" Dr. Raymond asked.

"I wouldn't be his older brother if I wasn't troubled," Bruce replied.

"Did Philip show any signs of a troubled life?" Dr. Raymond asked.

"Not particularly. He was always a fantastic actor," Bruce said grimly.

"Well, Mr. Easlen, I'm here because if Philip is truly a killer, that means the alibis for you and Philip on the night of Mary Williams murder are falsified," Dr. Raymond said firmly.

Bruce's expression was hard to place. It was complex but detailed.

"Last time we met, you told me you and Philip were out scaring kids who took too much candy on Halloween night," Dr. Raymond said.

Both Dr. Raymond and Bruce took seats in comfortable armchairs.

"So tell me, where were you two really on Halloween?" Dr. Raymond.

Bruce didn't say anything. He just stared at Dr. Raymond's face.

"I wasn't lying to you, Dr. Raymond," Bruce told him.

"Then we have a paradox- somehow there's a way that your brother sneaked away to kill Mary Williams after, I note, pursuing her across the entire neighborhood, in a way that you didn't notice," Dr. Raymond said suspiciously.

"Listen, we were in costumes scaring kids-until about 7:50PM. We went inside and went to bed. At least I did. Philip must have snuck away," Bruce explained.

"Convenient. Who can verify this?" Dr. Raymond asked.

"About twenty scared-as-hell kids, plus a few parents," Bruce said angrily.

"Names?" Dr. Raymond asked.

"I don't know all of them. I think I recognized one of the fathers. This guy's name was Ben Glapher," Bruce said.

Dr. Raymond studied his face. He seemed to be telling the truth.

"Have you met with your brother since the incident at the hospital?" Dr. Raymond asked. It didn't matter if he lied about the answer, he could tell by his face what Bruce's real answer is.

"He hasn't come here. And if he did, I wouldn't help him," Bruce said.

"Why not?" Dr. Raymond asked. He wanted to see what Bruce would say if he was pushed.