The Berthington Funding Organization

Miles Cooper's house

March 10

8:11PM

The house stood out from the rest of the neighborhood. Mansion was the word that described it closest. The place was about six stories tall, all having large windows. Large columns stretched from the earth to the top floor, giving the establishment an epic and timeless feel.

It was surrounded by a forest of tall pine trees, all except for the back, which led to an enormous cliff that towered over a small town hundreds of feet below. It was a beautiful house with a spectacular view of the world for 5 miles around. As it was nighttime, the dark lands below, with the small towns lighting up, as if it was reflecting the bright stars above. The air was filled with the light breeze and the chirping of grasshoppers.

The world was mostly silent. That is, until someone running along the pavement broke the silence and replaced it with the hard clip-clap of shoes smacking pavement.

Philip Easlen arrived at the doorstep. He took out a pistol and held behind his back as he knocked. Despite the time, the door was opened quickly, and Miles Cooper came. Before he could say anything, Philip pointed the gun at his face.

"Stand aside," Philip ordered.

Cooper didn't say anything. He only backed away as Philip entered the room.

"What are you doing here?" Cooper asked.

"Being hounded by the police, I think I need a place. And don't think I won't kill you!" Philip yelled.

"I get it! I get it!" Cooper replied, raising his hands calmly.

"Here's how it's going to go: You will scram out of here and let me have the house for as long as I wish. If you tell the police I'm here, I will kill you," Philip said.

Substitute Police Station

March 11

9:03AM

Dr. Raymond and Derns, for once, were sitting helplessly. Days ago, Philip had escaped the police once more. Upon his escape, he rode away in a dark green van by an unidentified driver, possibly by another disciple. But that was were it all came to a dead end. Someone had messed with the street cameras.

So they and the police would have to rely on citizens to report a sighting of him anywhere for the present time. They just had to hope they wouldn't be too scared to report it.

"Hey, Derns," Dr. Raymond began suddenly.

"Yeah?" Derns said.

"On Christmas Eve, you did say that Philip Easlen was with Jason Kudlar and Mathew Bones around 8:00PM, right?" Dr. Raymond asked.

"Right. Why?" Derns asked.

Chief Leonard entered the rooms.

"Here you go, fellas," Chief Leonard said, handing them two coffees.

"Thanks," Derns said.

Dr. Raymond was too focused to say anything.

"You okay?" Chief Leonard asked.

"I'm fine. It just doesn't make sense to me," Dr. Raymond said.

"Really? Which part?" Chief Leonard asked.