Chapter 13

Phoebe sat in the cab with Sherlock and John as they rode to Irene's residence. She was still in shock, though she honestly couldn't put it past the woman.

Even though she had been incredibly sweet, Phoebe knew that there was more to Irene. She just hadn't expected this to be what more was.

"What's this?" John asked as Sherlock handed him something which caught Phoebe's attention so she looked at the spherical object.

"A smoke bomb, Watson. We're going to make her think the house is on fire," Sherlock explained as he grinned.

"We're doing what?" Phoebe questioned in shock.

"See here, you two, when ann unforseen incident such as a house fire occurs, people instinctively become concerned about what they find important. Don't worry. I've had great success with this trick before!" Sherlock assured them.

"So what's your plan to get inside?" John looked at the detective expectantly.

"I was thinking we could stop a block or two away. I would need you to rough me up a bit. I could act as though I was just assualted with my wife and friend, that being you two. We are just seeking shelter for the night. Phoebe already knows Irene so she would have no trouble letting us in!" Sherlock said and Phoebe quickly shook her head. "I even dressed the part!"

"Uh, no, absolutely nobody is gonna believe that," Phoebe said as she gave him a lopsided frown. "And I'm not posing as your wife."

"Sure she'd believe it! And you'd make a very convincing wife. Trust me," Sherlock replied to which John shook his head. The detective frowned at his idea being shot down. "Well, do you have any better ideas?"

"Actually, I might," Phoebe said as an idea popped in her head. "You have your handcuffs on you, right?"

"Always, why?" Sherlock said, pulling out his cuffs, swinging them around his finger.

"And what do you plan to do with those?" John asked, not liking where this was all going.

"You are going to be our criminal. Since Irene already knows me, it can't be me, and Sherlock need to search the house. You're a criminal who hid the evidence to his crime in her house on a plumbing job and Sherlock is coming to investigate with his trusty partner. How about it?"

John shrugged. "I guess it works. Better than Sherlock's idea."

Sherlock huffed as he looked away, not wanting to admit that he was impressed with her idea. "Alright, we'll do that."

"Great! Then it's settled!" Phoebe placed her hands in her lap with a smile.

-

"I apologize for calling so late," Sherlock spoke as he banded the knocker against the front door of the manor. "This is a rather urgent matter. Please help. I shant take very long."

"You can be more convincing than that," Phoebe said as she nudged him lightly.

The door began to open and Phoebe saw the familiar face of her friend.

"Phoebe? Is that you?" Irene spoke as she laid eyes on the brunette.

"In the flesh, though I fear I'm not here on personal matters," Phoebe said as she gave a smile.

"She's my assistant. My name is Sherlock Holmes and we are currently on a case. May we come inside?" Sherlock asked as he looked at the blonde in front of him.

"Of course! Come in, please!" Irene said as she let them in with a bright smile.

They began walking through the house and Irene had clung onto Sherlock's arm, seeming absolutely infatuated with the detective.