Grumbles the Grubby Goat

It was one of those times there was no obvious trigger. They were in the barn with the goats, Bebe was bleating and enjoying her hay. They'd just finished milking her and were preparing to separate it for the cream when there was a heart-wrenching wail.

Aberforth dropped the pail, the white mess splashing with the straw sticking to his boots as he went to her side, the wooden shed already creaking from a gale force wind that had not been there moments ago.

He sat down in front of her without fear, and recited from memory, "all across the land, people knew the story of Grumble the Grubby Goat."

Her strawberry curls still fluttered in the nonexistent breeze, her startling blue eyes held no focus, but she quieted save for a low whimper. "He lived in a small, thatched shed on the edge of town, with little hay that was always fresh, and a small water bucket that was always clean. His fur was a grubby brown that was always brushed.

One day, a man named Nilrem approached Grumble the Grubby Goat and told him thus; If you can solve my problem I will let you live in my mansion and eat endless tin cans and drink wine from my own goblet."

Ariana had sat down beside him now, lulled by the familiar story as she watched her brother. She was not incapable of speech, but preferred not to most days, instead tapping the soles of his scummy shoes with a silent apology on her lips.

Aberforth brushed at her hair and continued in a soft, familiar cadence. "Grumble the Grubby Goat told him simply; I will help you, but I do not seek your treasures. What is it you want?

Nilrem told of a dragon destroying their town every night, no knight had returned from slaying the beast nor kingdom willing to sacrifice their army to the fearsome beast.

Grumble the Grubby Goat agreed to travel with Nilrem to the dragons very layer."

She curled into his side now, making soft little bleating noises as Bebe crept over and began licking the toe of his boot, patting the tiny horns and laughing softly for her life.

"Amarok was the fiercest and largest dragon in all the lands, he conquered any man who dared approach him in the largest cave with his wealth of gold beneath him warming his belly. Grumble the Grubby Goat tottered inside on his hooves and Amarok only allowed it to let his laughter echo inside the cave, but he did not frighten the simple goat.

'Why do you dare approach?' Amarok's voice had frozen men with fear as Grumble the Grubby Goat stopped just before touching a single precious treasure.

'I wish you to stop attacking the town,' Grumble the Grubby Goat said simply.

His laughter roared through the lands, mothers hugged their children close," he put his arm around her, coaxing her to lay down and curl up in the fresh hay, which she readily did. "Amarok rose from his golden throne and stared down this creature who did not tremble as he decreed; there is another dragon by name of Sipha, if you get her treasure for me, I will do as you ask.

So Grumble the Grubby Goat traveled once more down long winding roads, across scorching deserts, blistering winds, and icy tundra's to find Sipha the dragon atop the mightiest castle on the tallest tower in the oldest kingdom. No man or beast had dared ever approach such a fearsome monster who had stood upon the largest trove of treasure in all the land, for Sipha never left her post."

Ariana yawned and grabbed fistfuls of the bright yellow stalks, rubbing her face against the texture and now nudging him with her feet to keep going if he stopped too long to make sure she hadn't fallen asleep.

"Grumble the Grubby Goat saw all of this and approached Sipha with the simple request, may I help you down?

'Yes please,' she laughed, her frail old wings not up to the challenge.

Grumble the Grubby Goat built her a simple and sturdy ladder, allowing Sipha to come down from her perch.

'Thank you Grumble the Grubby Goat,' Sipha said with such happiness. 'I will do anything to repay you!'

Grumble the Grubby Goat told her of Amarok's request and she was delighted to carry him there with all of her treasure."

Ariana giggled softly as Bebe curled up with her, the soft brown fur covering her legs now. Aberforth stroked her hair gently. He never used silly voices or even changed his tone as if reading to some toddler, he just spoke to her their favorite story.

"Amarok was astounded Grumble the Grubby Goat accomplished his task and greedily took the new horde, his gluttony temporarily abated. Nilrem thanked Grumble the Grubby Goat for his deed and tried to keep his promise, but Grumble the Grubby Goat only wished to go back to his shack in peace.

But then, why was he called Grumbles the Grubby Goat? Because we can not stop what others think they know.

The End."

"The end," she whispered back in her soft voice, a touch of innocence never quite leaving the sorrow always there now as her fractured eyes closed with peace.