seventeen

thank you all so much for the support on this story. it's such a privilege to speak about complicated emotions that I and so many others experience and allow for the respectful and encouraging messages in return <3

tw // mention of sexual assault, rape

h a r r y

     "Let's get you home. If it's alright with you, I'd like to stay the night on the couch. Make sure he's gone for good."

We walked back out to the main dining area of the diner where Will had gone to wait to give Ivy and I privacy. He hopped off the counter when he saw us come in.

"I need to call Em," she said mostly to herself, digging into her waist apron to find her phone. "Jamie's with them."

"Em?" I questioned, not recognizing the name.

"My friend from Boston. They're staying for a week and took Jamie to the carnival tonight."

     She raised the phone to her ear and walked away from us.

I glanced at my little brother who looked at me with almost as much concern as he did for Ivy. He slowly approached me, and I wondered about his expression, but was distracted by Ivy's phone call.

     "Em, something happened at the diner...yeah, I'm—I'll just explain when I see you. Can you not let Jamie out of your sight? Even at home..." There was a very long pause and I'm sure her friend was expressing concern. "He was here...Em...yes, him," she sighed, "Em, listen...Emerson, I'm okay. I got help. Can you do that for me, please, for my peace of mind?...My friend is going to be with me when I get there...No...Harry...yeah, I'll explain. Drive safe, okay?...Love you, too. Bye."

     As soon as she hung up and turned back to us, I could see the tension in her body. She was wound up tight, and I wished to take it all away.

     Fuck, I wished for so many things—all of which did not matter because the only thing that did matter was the safety of both her and Jamie.

     I studied her as she shifted her eyes from me to Will. They were distant and fogged most likely by old memories.

     "Jamie okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, they're both heading back. I need to get home. I want to get there before Em and Jamie do."

"Let me drive you."

She nodded.

The fact that she didn't argue was a testament to how shook up she was.

I held a hand out to her. She took it and tucked her other hand around my bicep. Will went ahead and opened the door for us then took the diner keys from her and locked up.

"Do you want me to follow you there?" Will offered when we hit the parking lot. "I can distract Jamie while you guys talk with your friend, Ivy?"

I answered before Ivory could. "If you can, that'd be great."

He nodded surely.

"I don't know how to thank you guys. I just knew you'd come and..." she faded off.

"No need to thank us," Will responded. I reached into my jacket for the key fob. He opened the passenger door for Ivy.