twenty-eight

note: just so you're aware, there are a few pov changes in this chapter! enjoy!

tw // mention of rape

i v o r y

     "Merry Christmas, my love." Anne gave me a warm hug and kiss on the cheek. "Where's your mini-me?"

     "Oh, he's in his roo—the guest room," I corrected my slip. "He's putting together his new Lego set."

     I hadn't wanted him to lose any of the little pieces in Harry's living room where he or others might accidentally step on them.

     She squeezed my arm. "Oh, I've got to go say hello."

     "Baby, want some wine?" I turned around to see Harry looking like a vision in a brown corduroy jacket and black pants. He held a glass out to me.

     "Thanks, gorgeous."

     His eyebrows rose and a smile grew on his lips. "Gorgeous?"

     I took a sip of the Pinot Grigio."Yes. You."

     His cheeks grew pink. He reached for me and I looped a finger through his belt loop, pulling him close. "Are you blushing, Mr. Styles?"

     He burrowed his face into my neck. "Maybe. Maybe I've already had a glass of that wine." The feel of his lips against my bare skin nearly drove me crazy.

     I teased my fingers across the nape of his neck. "Wine makes you bashful?"

     "Wine makes me think thoughts I shouldn't be thinking while my mum and your son are in the next room." He peppered kisses on my neck, my throat,  my chin, and then laid a soft one to my lips.

     "Tell me about them later."

     "Will do, beautiful."

     I stepped out of our close embrace once I heard my son's voice echoing down the hallway, nearing us.

     "Harry, Annie said you had a bunch of legos when you were my age," Jamie began. "Can I have them?"

     Harry placed his hand on the side of Jamie's head, brushing some of his curly hair out of his face.  "I'm sorry, bub. I'm afraid I don't have them anymore. When I stopped using them, I think we gave them to neighbors who'd play with them more."

     "Well, you should've given them to me. I'd play with them," Jamie imparted.

     I bit my tongue to keep from scolding him for grumping about wanting more toys when he'd just opened dozens of Christmas presents. Toys that belonged to somebody else from twenty years in the past, nonetheless.

     Harry remained patient. "I'm sure you would. If I had known I'd meet you all these years later, I definitely would have saved them for you."

     The doorbell rang, meaning it had to be the Boston crew or Mom since Alden and Will had their own keys.

     "Jamie, why don't you answer the door and let Auntie Jen in?"