twenty-three

tw // mention of rape

i v o r y

     "Harry—Ivory?" Anne's eyes widened as she noticed me standing behind her son. "How are you, love? You two come on in."

     Harry had texted his brothers and Lena to meet at Anne's house as soon as possible, but he hadn't told her we were coming over. So, she was rightfully surprised to see the both of us together at her front door.

Harry placed a hand at the small of my back and followed close behind as we walked into the house.

Everything in the home was familiar to me, but nothing more than the feeling of being here with him.

Her home was full of family photos all over the walls alongside plaques and certificates of educational and athletic accomplishments made by her children. There were warm tones accented throughout the living room and into the kitchen. She always had a dozen blankets and throw pillows laying around. Just off to the side of the living room was the dining room. In the center was a wooden dining table with eight chairs that had been there since they moved in. I always imagined there were eight chairs for each family member's partner later in life. When I was younger, coming in and out of this house, I imagined one of those spots would be mine.

     "Harry, why don't you come in here and fix up her tea?" Anne called from the kitchen.

     I panicked for a moment, not wanting to be alone. Since the conversation at my apartment, some part of me had been in physical contact with him—whether it be his hand in mine, a touch to my back, a touch to his back, or a kiss to the temple—and I wasn't ready to let go of my grounding point.

     "Come with," he coaxed, taking my hand and pressing his lips to the back of it.

     "What brings you two over?" Anne asked, not phased by me joining.

     She even passed me a glass of water and squeezed my arm in greeting.

     Harry poured some water from the electric kettle into a mug and began to prepare it how I liked.

     "Will, Alden, and Lena should be over soon," he said. "We, uh..." He spared a glance at me, and I knew it was my time to take over.

     "I have things to tell everyone," I finished for him.

     Anne's eyebrows furrowed for a second before flattening out in a quiet realization. There was no pity in her face, no sign that she was about to tell me "it'll all be okay". She just opened up her arms to me and I walked into her hug.

     "I'm proud of you, love," she whispered to me so quietly I doubted Even Harry could hear a few feet away. "I was proud of you before, but it's just for a different reason now."

     "Thank you. Really. Thank you, Anne."

     "Brother?" A voice boomed from the living room. Alden didn't wait for Harry to answer. "Mum, is Harry here?" he called out, sounding urgent.

     "Alden," I heard Will grumble next.

     "Ald." That must've been Lena.

     A second later, Alden flung open the swinging door that separated the living area from the kitchen. He was in jeans and a Midvale County Community College sweatshirt, looking stressed as hell. Lena followed right behind in an outfit almost just as casual but with the same amount of jewelry I'd seen her wear the last time we had a run-in. Will sauntered in after that in sweats and an MCFD t-shirt.