forty-three

tw // violence

h a r r y

Jamie had a half-day at school, so I was on my way to pick him up at eleven o'clock. After I dropped him at the diner with his grandma, I'd be heading straight to Portland Airport for my one o'clock flight.

I parked my car in the school lot and walked over to the main entrance. I leaned myself against the pillar where I normally stood so Jamie knew exactly where to find me.

It was common for other parents to stare as if they were surprised I was still picking Jamie up from school. Over the weeks, a few dared to whisper and speculate about where Ivy was. It didn't bother me too much, however, I did step up and say something when I'd heard someone ask another parent if they believed Ivy abandoned her son.

A couple minutes passed before the school doors opened up. Alden and another teacher stood against either one, saying goodbye to each kid and keeping an eye out as they found their parents. Alden spotted me and gave a chin lift. Jamie skipped out the door next, shouting goodbye to his friends, then heading my way.

"What's up, bub? Excited for the short day?"

"Oh, yeah! We didn't do any school today. Mr. Styles put on Finding Nemo and we got to paint with watercolors." Jamie held onto my hand as we strolled to my car. He continued recanting his day in class while I kept my head on a swivel.

My eyes roamed the parking lot, noting every parked car, if somebody was inside or not, every parent and kid walking...

Once we reached the car, I unlocked the doors and helped him into his car seat. I was halfway listening to his retelling of the Nemo movie when my eyes locked on a car that had pulled into a spot in the row facing us, four spaces down. He kept his car idling, and even though I could see through his front windshield that he had sunglasses on, I could feel his gaze.

It's been about two months now that I've been picking Jamie up from school. I recognized nearly every car in the lot, just as I did everyday. But this one I'd never seen before. A clean Chevrolet Impala, barcode in the bottom corner of the windshield and a non-smoking sticker.

Without a doubt, it was a rental car.

In Camden, Oregon, that was unheard of. The exception being when Ivy first moved back last year.

     I killed time, waiting as Jamie buckled his seatbelt while still keeping the Chevy in my sights.

     Getting that call from Dena a week back about somebody taking pictures of Jamie and Bobby at the park remained permanently etched in my mind.

     I was on edge. I was not taking any chances. I was also pissed.

     "Hey, James, I'm gonna lock the doors to the car. You stay put, okay? I'm gonna go talk to somebody real quick. I'll be right back."

     "Okay." He sounded confused, but he agreed. I closed the car door once I got his confirmation and hit the locks on my keys.

     With one more sweep of the parking lot and double-checking that Jamie stayed put, I started towards the car. Either it was a parent and I'd play like I thought they were somebody else, or I'd kick the guy's ass.