Chapter 7

What had started out as a great night, ended up being one of the worst ones of my life. How was I supposed to explain why I wouldn't drink or date?

I drove back to Marc's place, and told his butler that Marc's and Justin's cars were at Jerry's. The kindly old man understood, and thanked me for informing him. He told me he'd get the cars home and thanked me again for getting Mr. Deveraux home safely. I waved it off, wondering at the affection and worry in the old man's tone. Apparently he did care for Marc, or Mr. Deveraux, as he called him. Detachedly, I mused whether Marc ever appreciated this concern.

I spent a sleepless night, or morning, I should say, as it was already one as I drove home.

The next day, I went to school, wondering how I was going to face Justin or Leia after last night. Especially Leia. But both of them behaved like nothing had transpired. I was distracted, and ended up staring drowsily out the window for the English class. Justin caught me, and said "Mr. Prince, you will kindly explain this to me after class." And he continued teaching.

I figured that he wanted to talk to me about last night. I resigned myself to telling him the truth. But when the class ended, the others filed out, and Leia waited back with Justin and me, he surprised me by saying – "Look, Ash. I don't know why Cay felt the way she did, and Jake doesn't blame you for it. I don't even want to know anything about why you say 'no' to all the beautiful girls you meet, and why you don't drink despite working at the bar. All I wanted to say is thank you, because you got Leia home safe. And Marc's chauffeur got me my car, saying you'd informed the butler. You're a good kid, Ash. I don't blame you for your personal decisions. I'd just like you to know that if you ever need an ear, I'd hear you out. Even if you've done something terrible. Especially if you've done something terrible." His eyes glinted mischievously as I smiled at that.

"I'll tell you." I winked, and we bumped our fists.

Leia rolled her eyes at that, muttering something that sounded like 'Boys!'

All three of us felt the tension lighten, and Leia even managed to come up with "I guess you don't date because you're gay. Remember, Justin's out of bounds, okay!" and we laughed at that. I told them about how I used to be called 'Straight-A' at my old school, and even Leia agreed that it sounded much better than 'Ice Prince'. But then, since this was Leia, and she had her own reputation to live up to, she had to end it by saying "But I'm still going to call you 'Ice Prince', because you're the only guy to refuse me." She said, jiggling her hips in a mock-sexy way.

"I wonder how I didn't see those before." I teased.

"Now, now, Ash. You're no longer allowed to see them. Remember, they're out of bounds, okay!" Justin did a pretty decent imitation of Leia's voice, and we cracked up at that. It felt good to have friends.