Chapter 54

I woke to the nurse entering with the breakfast tray. She waited by me as I stretched and brushed my teeth by the tiny sink in the corner of the bathroom. I nibbled at my toast, and found that my appetite had shrunk. I could barely stomach two slices and a small tumbler of orange juice. The nurse could see that I couldn't have any more. Giving the nurse a sheepish grin, I let her clear up the tray, as Justin came in.

We waited for the nurse to go out, and then I looked at him.

"Marc –

I began, but Justin held out a hand and cut me short. "Let me speak, please." He requested, his English accent evident.

I nodded, glad to let him go first.

"I'm no longer your English teacher, Ash. I'm quitting." His hand was still held out to keep me from speaking. But the truth was that I was glad. Not that he was a poor teacher, far from it; he was one of the best English teachers anyone could wish for.

He went on, "I've already asked out Leia, and – uh – she's my girlfriend now. Officially." He broke off to smile.

I couldn't help blurting out a "Good for you, Justin!" and he continued.

"A publisher's taken up my novel and it's going to come into print next spring." He announced nonchalantly.

"That's amazing, Justin, you total hidden champion, you!" I was whooping with joy, because this meant that Leia and Justin would no longer have to worry about being in a forbidden 'student-teacher' relationship. I was so happy for them.

"Kellner told me to let you know that he's out following the lead that you gave him." Justin informed me, and took a step backwards. I nodded, to let him know that I was okay with him leaving.

Justin gave me a smile and left. I knew he'd understood that I was sorry about keeping the whole Marc-and-Stellan-are-one-and-the-same-guy secret from him. But then it had turned out that he knew it all along, so I guessed all was well between us.

Hayley came in, after a while. "You heard about Arnold?" she asked me, gravely, with a solemn face.

"No, I didn't." but I knew what was coming. I was sure Kellner had figured it out.

"He hung himself. Some flat downtown. Kellner found him with a letter by his side. Kellner says the letter's addressed to you, so he – uh – wanted me to ask you to read it and then he'll need another verdict from you." She broke off, her expression sour, as she continued, "He said your lead was useful" and her tone was questioning, like she hadn't quite made the connection that I had, when I told Kellner where to find Arnold.

"I'll tell you," I conceded, as I proceeded with the explanation. "You, of all people, should know that it's easier to tell the truth undercover than to live a lie entirely, right?" she nodded, and I went on to remind her "Remember Giorgio?"

Her expression showed me that she'd made the connection. "You mean that it was a real incident he told?" I nodded, and she went on "So this Giorgio connection would have helped Kellner to find Arnold." She gasped and quietened, as she figured out the entire story.

"Still want me to read the letter?" I asked her drily, and I knew the story the letter would tell. She shook her head and ran out to fetch Kellner Strauss.

He grimly acknowledged me with a nod and gave me the note, handwritten, in that writing I knew so well.

To Ashton Armand Prince,

You shall receive this letter only once I'm dead, and beyond hurting for all that I'm about to reveal to you. My safe is behind the fifth brick in the seventh row from top. There, you'll find a detailed account of all my crimes and mistakes, and all the good I've done too. For I have done some good, however hard you may find to believe it. And really, I must admit, that you were the best decision of my life, and I pray that you find your happiness in life.

I know that you must have figured out the bit I told you about Giorgio. Yes, he was my dearest friend and I have decided to join him up there, where my two lovely ladies await. I might not make it to heaven, but at least I've tried. Because all the ills I've done can't be wiped away, but my atonement, so to say, lies in my will in my safe. The password to which, I'm sure, you'll guess.

Take care of yourself and Alyna. Also of Hayley. You don't need me to tell you this, but she is a keeper, boy. I do hope you can forgive me. That is all I ask from you. That is all that can touch me now. Know that you've changed me in ways I never thought possible. I can feel the remorse right now that I never thought I was capable of feeling. I can sense my hands trembling, but I know that I have it in me to go on. Just enough to sign it off.

Remember that I love you still. And I will, right till the end. Forgive me if you can.

Your culprit and a murderous traitor,

Forever in your debt,

Arnold Wood.

P.S.: I just can't get myself to sign off as Darren Clay. That part of me I want to destroy, and it shall die with me today.

My own hands were shaking by the time I read the last words of Arnold Wood, a dear friend and worst enemy at once. There was nothing else to say, and Kellner quietly drove Hayley and me to Arnold's quarters, and there we stood before the brick wall of his unused kitchen. Silently, I tapped the brick Arnold had indicated in his letter. It rang hollow. I tapped harder, and the only sounds I could hear were my tapping and our beating hearts, bated breaths as the brick slid, revealing a gap.

It revealed a safe, with a keypad for entering the password. I took a deep breath and entered 'Emily' which failed to grant me access to the innards of the safe. Sighing, I entered 'Will' and the door swung out without a creak or a sound. Hayley gave a small smile, and Kellner's gloved hands pulled out the ledger and a thick green envelope, which I believed were the diary and the will respectively.

I was confused to a lot of things. I didn't know who I was. The last week had changed me entirely. I didn't know whether Arnold Wood was my friend or the murderous traitor I took him to be, my culprit, as he called himself. I didn't know what to think. But I was recovering, and things were looking up. I had friends who were with me through thick and thin. I had a family, and we loved each other.