Chapter 13

"Where'd you get that from?" tension showed in my voice. I've never liked guns. They snuff the life out of a living person from far, and that's cold. If you want to kill someone, look them in the eye and then do it. Knives and arrows seem more honest to me. Somehow I feel that guns don't leave a chance. There is something ruthless about guns that I'm not comfortable about.

"Relax, Princess!" it felt funny to hear it from her. "It's just a gun. I'm in a gang, remember? At least I used to be...." She trailed off.

"One – You call me Ashton or Ash. And two – we need to talk about how to get Carver out." I spoke solemnly, but I couldn't overcome the amusement in my voice. 'Princess', really? How come nobody had come up with that so far? I laughed internally. Greg (the guy who'd named me 'Straight-A') would've hugged her for coming up with this one.

She gave a chuckle. "Okay, Princess..." and with a grin, "Oops! Ashton." We laughed at that. I couldn't help it. Suddenly, it brought Alyna to my mind, because I used to call her 'My Little Princess' and that had me getting serious.

"What if they've given Carver the drug?" I asked.

Hayley blanched. Apparently, she hadn't thought of that. But when I said it, she seemed to realise the implications of the possibility. Because they were drug-lords, and would already have a huge supply of drugs at hand, and that way they could keep Carver under control. The gun shook in her hands. I could imagine her cursing herself for not having thought of it before. I felt like a voyeur for suggesting it, although it was probably true.

"We have to get him out as fast as we can." I said, because it was unnerving to watch her tremble. This was the girl who'd been prepared to kick her way out when she was shot. If the idea visibly gave her tremors, then it had pretty much shaken her up. The only thing to do now was to get the boy out as quickly as we could, because any delay on our part would exponentially increase the risk of finding him dead or worse.

In the semi-darkness, our hands found each other's easily, and I held hers in a firm grip.

"I don't know where he is." The hopelessness in her voice was palpable.

"You said it was your people who took him, and you know their safe-houses, don't you?"

"Yes. There's the garage, but I doubt if they'll keep him there. I know it too well for that. There's a warehouse by the docks. There are filming studios, departmental stores and even a cinema theatre where they do their business. Then there is an endless list of nightclubs and such. They're all over the city. Frankly, they could've taken him anywhere, and I wouldn't find him even if I spent a lifetime searching." I felt she'd drive herself mad if she went on talking like this.

"He'll be at the garage. Or your house." I said, and she gasped at that.

"Why do you think so?" she asked. I could hear from her tone that she'd already figured why, but needed to hear it from me. She was completely stressed out. It was a miracle that she could think straight enough to figure it out herself. It made sense that she'd want to hear me out loud.

"They are holding him to get you, right? So they'll keep him someplace you'll know, so that you come to get him. And they won't kill him." I explained. I felt her shudder at my last sentence. I hadn't stated why, but she understood it. They wouldn't kill Carver, because if they did, they'd have nothing to hold against her. She'd have nothing left to lose.

You're a fantastic person to have read so far... and you're the best if you've voted and commented. I do hope you are enjoying the story. I'm going to overhaul certain chapters in the beginning, simply because they could be written better. I'd be forever grateful to you if you could let me know what you've liked so far, and what you've disliked too, so that I may improve on it. Sure, a dedication is in order for people who really help. :) :) :)

You'll probably love what's to come if you've liked it so far...