Chapter 33

I made my way to the bus stop near Jerry's where we'd been dropped off by a bus just a couple of days back. Via bus, I made my way to the parking, paid off, and drove out with Buzz, in style. I went home to get clothes and all the necessary stuff, shopped for the supplies which weren't there at home. I bought Arnold a gift.

I went into a jewellery store and bought a bracelet for Hayley. The girls at the store stared at me, I even heard a couple whispers about how it was too bad that I had a girl in my life, but I didn't care. Hayley was unofficially my girlfriend, and I could spare her some pampering, although I was pretty sure she'd bite my head off rather than use it. Then I got her some clothes, I knew her size alright, and I don't know what got into me, but I also bought her a dress.

I stepped into Victoria's Secret, and I made up my mind. I would not buy her a perfume. I loved her human smell, her lack of pretence. It was what had me trust her.

She would definitely kill me now, so I thought I'd at least die thoroughly satisfied. So I went out and bought her a lingerie-set from Victoria's Secret, and now I was officially dead meat in real life, and the most caring boyfriend in the eyes of the attendants at the store. But both ways, I was happy.I've done all the shopping for Alyna before, so I didn't feel too awkward.Now that I knew that Alyna's treatment was paid for, I could actually spend some of what I'd earned at Jerry's. Obviously I didn't spend it all, because I've never been a great spender. It goes against my principles.

Finally, satisfied with my shopping, I loaded it all into Buzz and drove to Polson.

Throughout, I wasn't followed. By that time, school was over, and not many people spared me a glance as I drove in, instead of out. Most of them assumed I must have left something inside and was going back to reclaim what I'd forgotten. Once again, people's assumptions proved to be my best cover.

As I parked in, I made a point to run, to make it look as if I really had forgotten something.

I quickly made my way to the classroom and found Justin and Leia talking. Thankfully, they were just talking (looked more like flirting to me, but that would have to do) and not in the middle of a full on make-out session, to interrupt which would have been awkward, in the least, and Hayley would only get scraps of me to mutilate further for getting her the dress and the lingerie set. So with that cheerful thought in mind I knocked and went in, when Leia literally ran to me and gave me a hug, which I returned wholeheartedly, because it was a genuine friendly hug.

Justin and I shared a fist-bump and then he raised a single eyebrow, asking "How come you're here? Shouldn't you be in the hospital, recuperating?"

I laughed, because someone was passing by the door. And once they'd gone, I explained. Not everything, of course. I didn't tell them who Marc really was. Or who he posed to be otherwise. But I did tell them that I was out because of the firing in the hospital. "So Hayley and I have been on the run. I just thought I'll drop in to take notes." I ended. I wasn't exactly lying, but I was hiding behind partial-truths. These were my friends, after all, and I had to protect them.

"So why isn't she with you?" this was Leia, obviously.

"I left her behind." At Jerry's I added in my mind.

"Oh. I thought you love her." She sounded the slightest bit wistful.

"I do. Which is why I'm alone right now." Here's the truth then. But I know you'll take the wrong meaning, so can't hurt.

Somehow, Leia looked a little disappointed and happy at the same time. I felt bad for her. She felt happy, I thought, because she now was under the impression that not even Hayley had been able to keep me, the same boy who had rejected her, Leia. I had a feeling that she was disappointed to find that I was still in love with Hayley.

But Leia proved me wrong.

"I'm so happy you've finally found a girl you love, Ash. I don't even know whether I can call you 'Ice Prince' anymore. But really, take this from a girl, you should be with her right now. I'm frankly disappointed that you'd leave her side for some stupid notes. I don't know what you're playing at, but you should be there for her, she needs you." Wow. Who'd have ever thought that Leia would take up such a mature role. I felt bad for stereotyping her to be a shallow person. Because she saw into the situation much more clearly than anyone else. Here was a friend who told me when I was wrong.

Justin, too, was surprised at Leia's take, but he approved wholeheartedly. Giving her a sideways hug, he said "Listen to your heart, Ash. For once, do what you feel, and not what your brain feels is right."

Ash, you are one lucky guy. You got a bunch of friends who'd stand by you in tough times, and who'd stand up to you if they think you're wrong.

I just gave them a hug, which said it all better than I could have put into words. Then I took the notes from Leia, and she promised to fake attendance for me. I smiled. She was still the girl who'd do anything for the people she cared about. I was reminded of the time she'd popped an aphrodisiac in my Gatorade.

Thankfully, Coach Rodgers had seen her then, and the matter ended with no serious harm to either side. I was overcome with intense affection for this girl who was helping me out now, despite knowing my life was a lie. In fact, she still didn't know most truths.

I wished everything would blow over, and I wouldn't have to keep lying to the people who cared about me.