Chapter 16

I felt glad that she was disappointed, and even angry, when I asked for payment. She should be hurt, it was human. But it was horrible to see understanding and acceptance on her face. Like she'd figured out that I was as bad as anyone, and she didn't put it past me to ask for payment. But it was true. That was exactly what I had in mind. Fair payment for my help.

"You can ask me for anything. No price is too great for Carver." Her voice was steady and cold. All the warmth and friendship was gone. It was my fault, I knew. I'd made it sound like a professional deal. But that couldn't be helped, and she should've known. I didn't get called 'Ice Prince' for nothing.

"If I live through today," I began, and she suppressed a gasp. It felt weird, like she hadn't exactly accepted that I was risking my life in this deal. Obviously I knew what was at stake. I'd accepted that. I may not walk away alive today. I felt a deep pang of guilt when her reactions belayed that she hadn't. But there was no time for innocence or guilt. The fact was that this was a risky affair and we would both do well to understand this and act accordingly.

I continued my sentence after that awkward pause - "then I want you to do me a favour after I turn 18. That's going to be within the week, this Sunday, actually, so I can count on you not to forget. But if I am going to die today, I want you to watch my back. I want you to make sure that my heart is undamaged, and you are to press the call button on my phone three times. It will connect you on speed dial to Dr. Beauchamp, and tell him that you've arranged for Alyna Prince's heart. He'll do the needful after that."

I took a deep breath. I'd told her my darkest secret. She stood rooted on the spot. I had to tell her on time, because I trusted her to follow my instructions, and the time to do so might come much earlier than my 18th birthday. I'd been holding out till I was 18, because that way I'd be able to legally sign Alyna up to receive my heart. But if I don't make it to 18, I trust Hayley to carry out my wish.

Her jaw had dropped. I could see she was shocked. Because she suddenly knew what this was. This was a death wish.