Chapter 46

"Hit it." Stellan yelled. I did.

"Again!"

This went on, for sixteen hours straight, only pausing for an apple or two, and a sip of water. When Stellan broke off to sleep, I had Slader, and I was worn to the bone before the first of my two days was over. I almost got no time to think things out. But by and by, I could see more of the gang members taking interest in this crash-training of mine, and it was the perfect name for the training. Because most of the times it was me who was crashing into things, punching, kicking, shooting and even throwing blades. If the gang setup was the tip of the iceberg, then the drug racket was only another layer. By now I was quite sure of what the secret was, and why they needed Hayley so bad.

Stellan had stopped calling out instructions, but I was fit enough to tackle him on my own. We tried without guns and with guns, with knives and rods and what not. I still had a couple of hours to myself, when both Stellan and Slader clapped me on my shoulder and declared that I was fit for the gangs. And there I earned the new nickname, 'Ice Prince'. Because all those onlookers apparently knew my name, and were being told by Slader how I'd survived the ice-water. Apparently, nobody else had ever lived through a hundred buckets and shocks only to be sane and fit enough to be accepted into the gang. One by one, the gangsters came and punched my shoulder, calling me "Ice Prince", in what I took to be a gesture of initiation. Finally, Ramírez punched my shoulder and said "Ice Prince! Welcome to the Brotherhood!" and that was it. I was a member of the gang for once.

I could see smiling faces around, some with broken noses or bullet scars or knife wounds. Some others, with tattoos that told the tale, or hid old scars. Each of them was confident, strong and welcoming. Each armed to their teeth, much better trained than I was, much more capable of pulling the trigger when confronted with a do-or-die situation than I would ever be. Each one more dangerous than their smiles let on. They accepted me as their own, and somewhere at the back of my mind, I admired each one of them. They were ruthless, true. What they did wasn't legal or ethical, true. But most of them were desperate. For a lot of them, it was a second chance, like for Slader. For some of them, this was family. They were born into it, and knew no other life. Suddenly, I realized that there no longer was a 'them'. Us. Because I was now a part of this band of people.

"So, Ice Prince. You prepared to get Dragon back for us?" Domingo called, and the others cheered.

"Can I have Stellan and Slader with me?" I was requesting the impossible, I knew, but it was my only chance of saving the two who really were my friends. But then, for one, they were the most important people in the gangs after Ramírez and Domingo, so there was a slim chance that both of them would be allowed to go with me. For another, some part of me was feeling guilty about choosing them over the others, almost as if I were condemning the others without letting them get to know me, or to choose sides in what was to come. Because I was determined to expose the secret of these gangs, which meant that I would be betraying these new 'brothers' of mine. Wasn't it fair that they got a chance to choose whether they would back me or whether their loyalties lay with the gangs? Wasn't it owed to them that I told them my true intentions and let them decide, for once, whether they wanted to leave behind this life and join me to make a difference?

But then, was it right that I was risking Stellan's and Slader's lives in turn, too? Because I knew that if my cover was blown before I could expose the gangs, I would die. I was confused, and it must have shown up on my face, because Domingo laughed.

"Scared, are we, Ice Prince?" he sneered, derision oozing through every pore, as he took a swig of spirit from his flask. There was a spell of silence, as they waited around with bated breath, to hear what I had to say to that.

"No, Domingo. I think I outgrew fear when I was chosen to join the Brotherhood." I replied. I had to lay on the drama for whatever it was worth. I must have gotten something right, because I cheer went through the crowd at my reply.

Stellan smirked in reply.

Slader awaited Ramírez's judgement on the matter. Because if Ramírez and Domingo gave the word, the two could come with me and we could figure out a plan to get out of the whole thing alive, with Hayley, of course. If not, things could get complicated, but I was prepared for it. I found myself wondering who was the boss of Domingo's gang. I'd not heard him being mentioned even once, and the men listened to Domingo and Stellan, not once questioning their words. But I distinctly remembered Hayley telling me that Domingo was a dangerous man, but second in command to someone else.

Domingo didn't give me long to wonder. He quickly took his decision, and I had anticipated this would happen. "Ice Prince, you are to go alone!" he announced, and raised his hand for silence. "Let this be a test." He added quietly, and I knew that he alone did not trust me at all. The others thought of me as one of the brotherhood, and did not question my motives as deeply as Domingo did. He was the one I should truly be afraid of, and the thought send shivers down my spine.

But I squared my shoulders and nodded with a smile. "I accept." And Domingo lowered the hand he had raised for silence and led the cheer himself, as the people around me yelled and pumped their fists in the air. I was a little dazed, but I tried my best not to let it show on my face. So I was alone in this. It was probably for the best, because that way, if I died, I'd die alone. And if I lived, everyone would have their chance. Not just Stellan and Slader.

I caught Stellan's eye, and he gave me a reassuring smile. For one moment, I thought that he was Marc, my friend, and not Stellan, the gangster. But as the moment passed, I could see that the two were more or less the same person, and without doubt, he was my friend. Brave, loyal, and dependable. That was him. And whatever I did, he would try his level best to make sure that my plan succeeded.

I amassed my courage and held out my hand for attention. Ramírez and Domingo were both surprised at the gesture and the authority I showed, but every single one of the faces that surrounded me fell silent. "I plan to leave immediately. I will return with the Dragon... or die trying." I promised, and yet another cheer ripped through the air, and those seated around me clapped my shoulders in approval. I rose, and nodded to everyone, looking slightly longer at Stellan, Slader, Domingo and Ramírez.

Ramírez clapped my shoulder, in an act of acknowledgement, and said "Make the Brotherhood proud, Ice Prince." And that was it. It was time for me to go into action, and make sure that their dirty little secret was well and truly out. I saw Domingo rub his hands and watch me leave, a shifty smile plastered on his handsome face. I did not turn to look, as I navigated my way out into the basement and to Jerry's.

RtD