Allow Me to Demonstrate

Eloise landed gracelessly on the drawing room sofa between her two brothers, Colin and Benedict (secretly, her favorites). She popped a chocolate into her mouth, seemingly frustrated. Eloise then asked them rather casually, "Brothers, how is a baby made?" Colin choked down a laugh as Benedict smacked him.

"Do not entertain your sister's curiosity. l already dismissed her once." Their mother gave a look of annoyance but continued her needlework.

"Please. Penelope and I wish to know, and you were the first I thought to ask. After Anthony and Mama, of course, but neither would tell me."

"Penelope wishes to know?" A devilish grin spread across Benedict's lips as a plan formed in his mind. "Well, do bring her by, sister. I'm sure I could give her a proper demonstration."

"You will not!" Colin and Violet raged. Eloise was now even more confused. However, she was also intrigued by Colin's reaction. Colin was shooting daggers at his brother, and Benedict relished it.

At the Featherington ball last season, many truths were revealed. Eloise learned of her dearest friend, Penelope's alternative persona, Lady Whistledown. She was hurt, but not because of the scandal published, tarnishing her name. No, Eloise was angry because the person she trusted most and who she thought trusted her had been keeping a secret.

Later at the same ball, Penelope searched for her friend for a chance to explain and mend what was now broken. Instead, she accidentally eavesdropped on a conversation between Colin and a group of his peers. "Penelope Featherington? Are you mad? I would never dream of courting her." The group laughed at her expense. Her first thought was to run and hide, sobbing for the rest of the night at her friend's betrayal. However, a flame inside her grew brighter, and she chose to stand her ground.

"Ahem. Mister Bridgerton."

"Pen, I didn't-" Startled and ashamed, Colin was at a loss for words. That would be a first, Penelope thought. Before he could apologize, she puffed out her chest at him. If this were any other circumstance, he might revel in the sight of it more, but the fury in her eyes told him he ought not.

"I'm sure you never intended for me to hear it. Nevertheless, I do not recall asking for you to court me. Just as I have not asked Lord Fife or any of your other peers, so it is no harm done. However, in the future, do refrain from speaking in such a way about your so-called 'friends' Mr. Bridgerton. Especially in their own home."

Time passed, and Eloise forgave Penelope after realizing her intentions were pure. Penelope forgave Colin purely because she loved him. Neither relationship has been the same since, both for entirely different reasons.

"Why? Do you wish to show her yourself, brother?"

Colin's cheeks tomatoed with embarrassment.

"No, l, um-"

With impeccable timing, a staff member entered the drawing room and cleared his throat. "Miss Penelope Featherington is here."

Eloise saw Colin's face grow two shades redder, if possible, while Benedict couldn't help the laugh escaping his lips. Even Violet and Anthony fought back a slight chuckle at the timing. "Do let her in." Violet managed to say.

Amid the laughter, Penelope noticed the color of Colin's face and became concerned. "Is something wrong, Colin? You look quite feverish."

"Yes, Colin. Perhaps you should remove some articles of clothing." Benedict smiled smugly and continued, "l believe Colin was just about to explain how babies are made."

"Oh, yes, I am most excited. Mama refuses to answer such things." Penelope's innocent eyes peered into Colin's very soul.

"Or would you prefer I demonstrate for you?"

Before Penelope could answer Benedict, Colin yelled, "No!" Upon realizing he startled his sweet Pen, he regained his composure. Or tried to at least. "I, um, I-" Colin had lost his usual charming demeanor, and he could not find the words. It wouldn't be the first time either. Penelope seemed to have this effect on him more frequently lately. At last, Colin muttered, "Another day."

"Another day? Whatever could you mean, dear brother? Mama, do you hear bells? I hear bells." Benedict teased.

"I do believe I hear a slight ringing."

"And pitter-patter, almost like...little feet. Hm." Anthony mused, adding fuel to the fire.

Colin was grateful that the end of the conversation seemingly went over Penelope's head, but he was shocked that Anthony and his own Mama were playing into Benedict's cruel game.