Waltz of the Wicked

Colin had no chance to apologize to Penelope since that night in the garden. It had been nearly a week, and she had refused every one of his calls. He even asked Benedict to send flowers on his behalf, to which his brother all too eagerly obliged. Luckily, tonight was a ball held at Lady Danbury's residence. If he could get Penelope alone for a few moments, he could tell her everything.

It was the first ball to kick off the new season, and Penelope was incredibly excited. After Colin proclaimed to the eligible males of the Ton that she was "incourtable," her Mama saw no need in dressing her in such gaudy numbers. That meant she had the opportunity to wear whatever she wanted for once. What she wanted to wear was a delicate, silk-green gown with silver floral embroidery. Madame Delacroix adjusted the bust line to flatter her waist and lift her bosom.

Penelope had never felt so beautiful. She felt like the woman in her fantasies, desirable. The thought of that night with Colin flashed in her mind. He thought she was desirable. Or so he said before he pushed her away. She hadn't said a word to him since and didn't plan to tonight. They hadn't gone this long without speaking since last season. She forgave him then, but not this time. Penelope was a new woman. She did not need a man to provide her pleasures, especially not Colin Bridgerton.

Penelope arrived at the ball to be greeted by Lady Danbury, Eloise pummeling through the crowd straight towards them.

"My, Penelope Featherington, is that you? I didn't recognize you in such dull colors." Lady Danbury mocked, winking at Penelope.

"I told her she should stick with yellows. They suit her best."

"Nonsense, Portia. Your daughter looks marvelous as always."

"Penelope!" Eloise came to a screeching halt just before knocking into Lady Danbury, who stared her down, knowing she was the only person who could scare Eloise in such a way.

"Eloise, how good to see you!"

"Why have you not been by, Pen? Colin says you had a falling out and wishes to apologize. He will not tell me what for."

"It is unimportant. Colin is not here, is he?" Penelope's eyes darted around the room, hoping her height would help her avoid the person she was looking for.

"Of course, as is Benedict, Fran, and Mama. You should join us. Benedict tells me he would like to reserve a spot on your dance card."

"That is very kind of him, but she must stay with Prudence and me." Portia held Penelope close to her side, a little too tightly.

"Nonsense. Let the girls go, Portia. I'm sure Prudence could find a suitor without the help of her younger sister in tow." Eloise snorted, causing a glaring response from all three Featherington women and their hostess.

"Very well. Go play with the Bridgertons, Penelope."

"But Mama, you told me that a young lady does not play." Eloise laughed again. Oh, how she missed the gall and wit of her dear Pen.

"Penelope, you are trying my patience. Go."

"Mrs. Bridgerton, Benedict. How nice to see you both again. I hope to see Francesca sometime this evening when she is not otherwise preoccupied." Penelope hadn't even looked Colin's way, and now she was outright ignoring him in her greeting. This was going to be more challenging than he thought.

"Penelope, as I have told you, please call me Violet."

"Who knows, in a short few months, you may be calling her Ma."

"Eloise!" All three Bridgertons, excluding Francesca, who was dancing with a Lord something or other, shouted in unison. Colin glanced at Benedict, confused. Why was he so embarrassed by such a comment? Just days ago, he would have made the same comment himself. In fact, since he saw Penelope last, Benedict had made no comments about the two of them together. Benedict even told their Mama that he hoped to share a dance with Penelope that evening. That sent an uneasiness in his stomach that he couldn't describe. Was Colin jealous of Benedict?

"And might I say, you look stunning this evening, Penelope! I'm sure you are relieved that your mother has finally let you choose the color palette of your taste. Doesn't she look stunning this evening, Benedict?"

"A gross understatement." Penelope blushed profusely at his compliment.

As Benedict and Penelope made their way to the dance floor for the next waltz, Colin was confident that this was jealousy. And as Benedict brushed aside her hair and whispered something in her ear, the feeling in his stomach grew.

"Did you receive the flowers I sent you?"

"I did. The flowers were lovely."

"I made sure to get your favorites."

"You know my favorite flower?" Her voice became smaller than she intended.

"Of course. I have known you for a long time, Pen. I know a lot of things about you."

"Benedict, it is lovely of you to think of me and to offer me this dance. I know it may be out of pity because of the falling out Colin and I had."

"That's ridiculous, Pen. I know that you love to dance, so l offered. And I also happen to know that you are an excellent dance partner." Penelope blushed. "Forget my brother. I am unsure what he did to upset you, but he is an idiot not to see what has been right in front of him all this time." She blushed harder.

"What do you mean, Benedict?"

"Don't play coy, Penelope. You and I know there is more to you than this innocent facade. The offer still stands, you know." He leaned in closer as the song came to an end. "To...demonstrate for you." Penelope swallowed hard. "Meet me in the garden in fifteen minutes. I wish to speak with you. Alone."

Penelope felt the same rush in her lower regions with Colin in the garden. She suddenly became aware of the fantasy she had before in which she was writhing under Benedict's touch. She assumed it was a coincidence that she was dreaming of him, but could it be something more? Her mind swirled as she got off the dance floor, Benedict's breath still hot in her ear.

"What was that all about, you two?" Colin demanded.

"Frankly, none of your business." Benedict was already growing annoyed with his brother. He knew better than anyone that Colin was not as charming as he seemed. And what business was it of his what he did with Penelope since he cast her aside like yesterday's roast?

"It is my business when my brother and my-"

"Your what, Colin? Myself and your what?"

"When you and my friend are dancing inappropriately close in front of all of the Ton!"

"Well, now who's making a scene?" Benedict teased.

"Enough, you two. You are acting like children. And Benedict is right, Colin. As my friend, what I do with your brother or any man for that matter, is none of your business. Unless you have a valid reason to object, Benedict, I shall have you show me to the gardens now."

With that, the two stormed off, leaving Colin a befuddled mess in the hands of his Mama and two sisters.